Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Severed bodyparts are too mobile  (Read 5015 times)

red_29A

• Bay Watcher
  • [DO_NOT_CULL]
    • View Profile
    • Nexus Page
Re: Severed bodyparts are too mobile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 09:30:50 pm »

Totally agree with you, Buttery_Mess. It all started when one of the traders guards died and my dwarfs could not bring his corpse down below to the necropolis quick enough with out it reanimating. And sometimes they are easy to kill, sometimes they get the upper hand... pun intended. Even though i'm 10-20 z levels below, its still evil ground, and everything reanimates.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 11:10:06 pm »

Pure evil embarks have become sadomasochist' playground.
However, embarking on a part evil, part non-evil embark is viable. Just make sure your entrance proper, and butcher stockpiles are well inside the non-evil part of the map.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 08:10:34 am »

Pure evil embarks definitely require a different playstyle, but it's very doable. I have the most success with a policy of containment: wall off dead/dying dwarves Cask of Amontillado style, dump animal remains down a hatch with magma (or simply a pit with no way out) at the  bottom, etc.. just do whatever you have to to keep the zombies separate from your happy still-living dwarves. It's a bonus if you can find a way to destroy zombies permanently (dump into magma sea, atom smashing, whatever), but it's not necessary as long as you can keep them contained.

It's fun when you get the hang of it, it has a little bit of that zombie apocalypse feel. Now for the full on zombie apocalypse effect, you need clouds that turn things into husks that transfer the syndrome on any injury.. but that is a challenge for the more masochistic player, best to master a regular evil embark first.

By the way, there's a very quick-and-dirty solution to troublesome zombies/body parts, particularly useful in the early days of a fort: kill zombie, channel the tile the fresh corpse is on, build a floor over it. It's like a little grave, but sealed by the best of dwarven masonry to ensure the zombie troubles you no more.

Actually, i dont like horrors, but this film was a pleasure. Original one too, thou.

<biased opinion> The original Thing is what horror should be, suspense and drama with a moderate amount of violence, often implied rather than shown. It's more of a "classic" horror film, but nowadays they call them "psychological thrillers" or somesuch, because the term "horror" has been corrupted by Hollywood's slasher flicks which are just not the same genre. </biased opinion>
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:43:09 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 10:31:16 am »

I've had to resort to using a massive amount of cage traps for fortress defence simply because a weapon trap can create far to many severed limbs that come back to life and eeventually clog up the traps then flood the fortress in a tidal wave of goblin limbs.

Me thinks we need a way to burn the corpses, which is the traditional way of making sure the dead stay dead.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 11:47:01 am »

Burn corpses? What are you talking about? Magma.

Seriously though, it's not too difficult to create a oubliette in which to deposit the dead. The oubliette also has the advantage that it serves as a decent playground for your marksdwarves.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

red_29A

• Bay Watcher
  • [DO_NOT_CULL]
    • View Profile
    • Nexus Page
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 07:18:01 pm »

i read some great tips here! And yeah, the ash-blight zombies are totally brutal. i didn't even get the cloud or at least an announcement for it, just human blood falling from the sky. I've had some embarks lately that were mostly serene with a few squares of sinister, and it seemed like Xanadu, but the ash blight zombies destroy all! i always embark with a mechanic, and cage traps are my savior... ( and zoos are awesome! ) But is there any other way to cure/destroy the blight? besides magma, i mean... On my last embark, 6 x 6, there are 8 sinister squares along the top and left side and the rest is serene. Seemed perfect. The ash-blight zombie rattle snake was quick, but luckily he went in a cage trap, but not before getting one of the horses that pulled my wagon. So, it was still tame, and dwarfs ran out to return it to the pasture and when they get a few squares away they cancel the job... But it was too late =p So, tame creatures infected with the blight should lose their tame status, no? Alas, when my immigrants arrived they were instantly ash-blighted... Fun! Yeah, i tend to be a sadist in real life, but definitely a hard core masochist in DF. After 4-5 years of thinking i had mastered the ultimate simulation its refreshing to know Toady can still introduce new challenges! i just had a dwarf go insane and her status said 'Attacked by own dead husband recently' Yes! Then i drafted her daughter to kill her zombie father. Fuck yes, Fun!

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 07:39:52 pm »

>Rolling
>Floating
>Body hair locomotion

WORMS >:D
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 11:23:53 pm »

I agree with this sentiment. If it doesn't make sense for a pair of legs to animate, because they cannot attack, then it doesn't make sense for a head to move, because it cannot walk. On the other hand, maybe arms could have some limited mobility.
Pages: 1 [2]