Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The dead walk again! Hide while you still can!  (Read 7011 times)

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
The dead walk again! Hide while you still can!
« on: March 11, 2012, 05:22:31 pm »

Maybe I SHOULDN'T have made my fortress right next to a necro tower. Halfway through year two and I'm already besieged. Normally it wouldn't be a problem, but I only have my miner with any skill in combat (Mining, coincidentally), and no other weapons or armor. Traps are out as well, even if I had some I think undead are uneffected, right?

So, short of building a wall in the next fifteen seconds (The undead just arrived) am I screwed?
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The dead walk again! Hide while you still can!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:26:59 pm »

Traps work, as do locked doors provided it's not a zombie kobold.

Get one of those down before they get inside and you'll be safe. I've survived for years now with 100 undead for every 1 combat effective dwarf, but I found even that might be enough - in a save I had to save scum from I let them loose and one recruit with a silver battleaxe, some copper armor and mediocre combat skills was able to rack up over 100 kills before he was dragged down. The biggest problem is how unhappy being assaulted by the undead makes them.

Naked fighters will get dragged down very quickly by punches to the head though.

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 05:29:42 pm »

just make a silver/iron/wood spiked ball dodge-me trap and an atomsmasher on the bottom
The first one gets 90% of zombies
best defence for a evil reanimating/mist biome zombie armies
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 05:32:01 pm »

Well, too late, because apparently the zombies all decided to gain about 10x speed as soon as they saw a dwarf. I could hardly even designate the wall before I was overrun.

I lost 47 dwarves in the blink of an eye... and the fort just &$@#in' watched!
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.