Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Kar Arkoth, the 5000 year old (large region) world  (Read 5026 times)

Twitch

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
Re: Kar Arkoth, the 5000 year old (large region) world
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 09:12:13 pm »

The fact that there's only one pole doesn't off you a little?
,.nn,.n.,UM.,n.,.,nn
N,,.U|++u|

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 09:26:21 am »

The planet's axis is tilted in such a way that the other pole is the tropics.

Such a planet might be interesting to observe.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 11:15:44 am »

The planet's axis is tilted in such a way that the other pole is the tropics.

I doubt that's possible.

If axis is perpendicular to the plane of it's orbit, and rotation is synchronized to orbital duration such that only one face gets sunlight, and you assume "south" is the face that faces the sun rather than a pole, then one face is eternally frozen midnight and the other is eternally baking in sunlight.

If the axis is parallel to the plane of orbit, seasons would be wild, going from half a year of dark winter to half a year of sunlit summer.

Better to think of world gen giving you just one region of the world, and *magic* prevents you from traveling beyond its borders.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 02:59:17 pm »

Regions always seemed unnatural to me. "Here's the edge of the world! No reason, but you can't go another tile to the left." It doesn't come up much in gameplay, but maps like that bug me.
For a more natural edge of map those edge squares should be some extreme terrain/liquid which cannot be traveled.
Some examples:
Instead of just an ocean square it would be called a raging ocean(even vessels would crash)
Instead of just a mountain it would be a mountain peek(far above breathing levels)
Instead of just a lava square it would be a toxic bubbling lava(high levels of toxic gases(sulfuric, etc.,))
and unique barriers could be created for each... at least until a world wrapping option arrived.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 11:11:56 am »

How many map rejects did those worldgen parameters produce?  I seem to always get lots of reject when I include both oceans and peaks.

Be nifty if the world would wrap around somehow.  Leave one landblock on one edge and appear somewhere else on the other edge.  Or fall off, game over, game restart-like.  I like the thought of someworlds being flat, multipoled worlds, myself.  It helps me fantasize that I'm living on a shell ontop a world turtle. 

Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 [2]