Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waves in a seaside embark  (Read 706 times)

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
Waves in a seaside embark
« on: March 11, 2012, 02:57:09 am »

Ok, most if not practically all of my embarks have been seaside ones, but I haven't yet figured out when a seaside embark has a sea that generates waves and when its just still (like a huge lake).

Are there any signs I can look for before embarking? Like the structure of z-layers aboveground on embark?
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Waves in a seaside embark
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 03:17:07 am »

Looking for a beach, eh. usually the beach is the same level as the water, and goes inland for approx. 10-20 squares. After that the z-levels may vary, but the terrain is usually flat or hilly (or there may be a giant cliff, very rare). And look for the saltwater tag too, it still might be a saltwater lake but usually not, or make a island map and embark on the edges then you'll be sure it's a ocean

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 03:31:12 am »

i always embark on an ocean side - i do a worldgen by copying the large island parameter set and just increase the number of evil squares, so all sides are ocean and it always warms me about the presence of saltwater. its an ocean alright.

you're right about the ocean being on the same level as the beach (because I've had beaches without waves -like my current embark- and the ocean was 1z lower than the beach) but how can you detect/predict something like that from the embark screen or know if its going to end up that way from worldgen? maybe some elevation tuning?

edit - btw, when i say beach i mean a literal one, there's sandstone pebbles, driftwood and everything. also on my current embark, said beach is on the same level as the same aboveground terrain, so no cliffs - in fact the entire surface is flat with a bunch of small lakes and an ocean 1z level lower.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:33:55 am by plynxis »
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 04:19:10 am »

Wouldn't the hight or cliff values in the embark screen indicate it?  Also there are third party world viewers that could also help I would think.  *shrug*