Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "FUN" with Biomes!  (Read 1428 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
"FUN" with Biomes!
« on: March 10, 2012, 10:00:42 pm »

I just Embarked on the border between a "TERRIFYING" and a "SERENE" Biome..

As of now, I have Both a Unicorn, and a Skeletal Giant Eagle on the screen at the same time.

i LOVE this game.

SO what are some other FUN stories of Crazy Biomes?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:05:58 pm by Crossroads Inc. »
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "FUN" with Biomes!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:28:05 pm »

Get the unicorn onto the evil side and murder it. Unicorn zombies, you must make them.

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 10:31:04 pm »

My first try in an evil biome with 0.34, specifically a haunted sand desert. Went fine for about a year, until a wave of about 20 migrants spawned in the middle of a mist cloud.

Unfortunately, I had only breached the aquifer a month earlier, and thus I didn't have any of the necessary infrastructure needed to properly defend my fort from the ensuing huskocalypse. One eventually chased a hapless woodcutter through the main entrance, and proceeded to pureé my fledgling fort. The survivors promptly went into a tantrum spiral.

The worst part was that this was the first time I'd actually found gypsum. I've only had it once more since then...

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:45:33 pm »

Well that didn't last long...

During woodcutting, one Dwarf got struck down by the Giant Eagle. 
I drafted the others together, but instead of a single group they went out one by one.
All but two Dwarves were slaughtered by the Eagle.. One went Bezerk and killed the other one.
The remaining Bezerk Dwarf lasted JUST long enough for a caravan to arrive before being killed by the guards.

Attempt 2:
Reclaimed fort a while ago, and played long enough for my first immigration wave.
Apparently news didn't get out of what happened as EIGHTEEN Dwarves came on the first wave. 
Half way across the map A group of Ogres came out and began to attack them... I drafted what ones I could and forced them to march into the newly reclaimed fort.  Lost 6 to the Ogres and am now in the middle of a Tantrum Spiral.

Meanwhile a unicorn somehow got down into the fort itself and is raising chaos.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 01:04:34 am »

I just want to say. Every once in awhile there comes a thread on something like trying to zombify unicorns that reminds me of just why this is the greatest community in all of gaming. Thank you. =D
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 06:47:12 am »

Intended to show my friend the fun of HFS, chose a shallow world and started digging down. Turns out, I had embarked on three extensively savage biomes, and got mobbed by Giant Desert Scorpions, Giant Eagles and then the clowns.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 10:18:12 am »

I had one ages ago with like 5 pages of live and zombie hippos in the creatures list. Never got a chance to hide underground, even though I tried many times.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:24:05 am »

Get the unicorn onto the evil side and murder it. Unicorn zombies, you must make them.

I am working on this. I was going to have them in an arena, too.  But there is a tantrum spiral...
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 10:28:13 am »

Intended to show my friend the fun of HFS, chose a shallow world and started digging down. Turns out, I had embarked on three extensively savage biomes, and got mobbed by Giant Desert Scorpions, Giant Eagles and then the clowns.

Well, I think you were QUITE successful in showing off the fun of HFS, then!