Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are assigned war dogs pets or not? Dwarfs don't seem t  (Read 1525 times)

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are assigned war dogs pets or not? Dwarfs don't seem t
« on: October 20, 2006, 03:35:00 pm »

When a stray war dog dies it gets dumped in the refuse heap and then butchered and all is well.

When a war dog became a pet through adoption, by making it available in the animal screen, and it dies it is treated as a pet and put in a graveyard/coffin.

But when a war dog has been assigned an owner dies, it seems to fall into a grey area.  A grey area of misery.  The dog has no name, and gets tossed in the refuse heap with the rest of the nameless curs . . . but it doesn't get butchered.  Meanwhile the former handler is unhappy about the death of a pet, and when the corpse rots he becomes unhappy again about the decay of a pet.  They won't butcher it, but they won't bury it either, so the corpse will decay.  Is this the way it is supposed to work?  Am I missing something?  

I suppose I could try chasming the corpses, that way the handler wouldn't get two unhappy thoughts about his dead dog?  But that would make the ratmen unhappy.

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
Re: Are assigned war dogs pets or not? Dwarfs don't seem t
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 07:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Angela Christine:
<STRONG>But that would make the ratmen unhappy.</STRONG>

Good.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 11:27:00 pm »

Pets get buried in coffins too.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 07:53:00 am »

Yes, pets do.  But but some war dogs do not.  They sit in the refuse heap, unburried, unbutchered.  Meanwhile the dwarf they were assigned to becomes unhappy about his "pet" decaying, except it wasn't a pet.  Or it was only kinda sorta a pet.  Or something.

Nakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 03:26:00 pm »

This is pretty annoying. I know some people get attached to animals that aren't their "pet" when working with them, but military dwarves already get stupid unhappy thoughts from doing their duty to begin with. This is just one more annoyance that makes maintaining a standing force more trouble than it's worth.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 01:50:00 am »

i don't think stray wardogs get butchered.

nor are cats (stray or pets.. though since the cat adopts dwarves.. you wonder who's the pet) they just rot and you can use the bones afterwards

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 12:22:00 pm »

Hmm, maybe it was cats, honestly I wasn't watching that closely.

I saw a dwarf with the red arrow of unhappiness.  He says he is upset about the death of a pet, he is upset about the decay of a pet.  The only dead pet I can find is a rotten war dog corpse.  Meanwhile I have around 30 empty coffins (I like to plan ahead)  ;) all arranged nicely in my crypt area, cleared to be used for burial.  I leave hauling food, refuse and burial on for nearly every dwarf, because any of those things being put off too long can cause trouble.  With no shortage of either usable coffins or dwarves willing to bury things, why is this annoying little twit complaining about his pet rotting?

It has happened a few times that way.  Is there something I'm missing?