Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Far too many animals  (Read 4592 times)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: Far too many animals
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2012, 09:43:43 pm »

Those gibbons should just be made into caste of each other, The animal-whatever should just be made into generic type like reptile-man maybe with caste for ones with claws or tails and the like
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2012, 10:01:38 pm »

If you don't like animal-people, then don't embark on Savage biomes. If you embark on a Neutral biome, you'll get a higher percentage of real-world, non-fantasy animals.

Surely, if you choose to play in a biome with fantasy qualities, you'd expect fantasy creatures?

yllamana

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2012, 10:29:55 pm »

The different varieties of the same type (lemurs, gibbons, etc) should just be distinguished in their detailed description like humanoid hair/eye colors or as castes; not treated as separate species.
That's a cool idea. Alternatively, maybe they could have what they are in a general sense in brackets. For example: Kea (Parrot). That way it's not hidden away in the detailed description but it's still easy to find out what it is.

Personally, I really like the animal variety in Dwarf Fortress. It's interesting and flavorsome, and occasionally educational. Not so much a fan of the "giant" variants since they often don't make any sense in biological terms, and that seems out of place in Dwarf Fortress.

Re: the wandering animal men - I think it'd be nice if the animal men were all historical figures in some sense - that there was a specific number of them around and they didn't just bumble around the map like a generic animal. When I see a group of them roaming the map like an animal it's a bit weird, but when they have a camp in the caverns or something that's really awesome. In a recent fort there was a little tribe of... cave swallow (wo)men? They ended up getting into a fight with a forgotten beast and all became weapon masters by the time they killed it. That was spectacular and very worth having in the game.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2012, 12:09:15 am »

The different varieties of the same type (lemurs, gibbons, etc) should just be distinguished in their detailed description like humanoid hair/eye colors or as castes; not treated as separate species.
That's a cool idea. Alternatively, maybe they could have what they are in a general sense in brackets. For example: Kea (Parrot). That way it's not hidden away in the detailed description but it's still easy to find out what it is.

Personally, I really like the animal variety in Dwarf Fortress. It's interesting and flavorsome, and occasionally educational. Not so much a fan of the "giant" variants since they often don't make any sense in biological terms, and that seems out of place in Dwarf Fortress.

Re: the wandering animal men - I think it'd be nice if the animal men were all historical figures in some sense - that there was a specific number of them around and they didn't just bumble around the map like a generic animal. When I see a group of them roaming the map like an animal it's a bit weird, but when they have a camp in the caverns or something that's really awesome. In a recent fort there was a little tribe of... cave swallow (wo)men? They ended up getting into a fight with a forgotten beast and all became weapon masters by the time they killed it. That was spectacular and very worth having in the game.

First off, if animals that are separate species are made into castes, won't that mess up how they reproduce?

Secondly, I agree that animal men need some sort of narrative behind them. What events bring them into being? What is their goal in life? It would make a lot of sense if animal men were created individually or in groups as a result of specific divinely- or demonically- influenced worldgen events, similar to necromancers. The animal men could be transformed sentients living under a sort of curse; one example that springs to mind is when the Greek goddess Leto transformed the Lycians into frogs as a result of their having insulted her. There are thousands more stories like this in all cultures' mythologies.

Another option would be for animal men to serve as a sort of immune system for nature- if your hunters kill too many animals, or kill them in a specific place or way that is offensive, it causes the animal men to emerge and take revenge either on your entity or on the specific offending hunter. In this scenario, the animal man is sort of like a belligerent Lorax rather than a species per se; they would be called into being via spontaneous generation or through a nonsentient animal being transformed somehow, similar to night creatures. The essential weirdness of animal men is done a disservice by having them just wander through maps behaving as if they were any other animal except un-butcherable.

Finally, I think that it would make sense for each animal to have a tag identifying its ecological niche, and to restrict the number of species that occupy the same niche in any given biome. This would permit diversity but you would not get cheetahs, cougars, leopards, lions, jaguars and tigers plus giant versions of same all together in any given tropical shrubland biome because the biome can only support one or two kinds of animals that fill the "solitary terrestrial carnivore" niche or whatever.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]