Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Hunt for Whales!  (Read 5428 times)

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Hunt for Whales!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 03:30:49 pm »

Marksvampires are your friend. Make a squad and have them target the whale. Also have your butcher be a vamp to so he/she can go get the fresh body.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 05:33:00 pm »

Actually, this doesn't work very well.  The bizarre nature of fluid flow in DF means that a draining ocean will have pockets of standing 7/7 water here and there.  Creatures only are pushed by flow when in water of less than 7/7, and an aquatic creature in 7/7 deep water will never voluntarily path into shallower water, so what you tend to end up with is the creatures you're trying to catch stuck in those random pockets of 7/7 water and never leaving.  I've actually tried this and other methods of catching sea creatures.

It worked quite well when I did it.  My intake was a hole channeled in the floor of the lowest point of the ocean.  Water would flow in from the edges and gradually push things down into the filter.  My ocean was shaped like a funnel to begin with though, so maybe it requires cooperative terrain. 

Have you ever tried the one where repeating bridges in the water launch the creatures up onto platforms where they airdrown?  It seems impractical yet highly amusing. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 05:46:31 pm »

Have you ever tried the one where repeating bridges in the water launch the creatures up onto platforms where they airdrown?  It seems impractical yet highly amusing.

Quite impossible.  Bridges don't fling creatures upwards.  Bridges fling objects in 3 dimensions, but living creatures stay on the same Z-level when thrown.  This applies to both retracting bridges and raising drawbridges.  Also, whales are too large to be fling by a bridge.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 [2]