Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turtles: nature's escape artists?  (Read 1006 times)

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turtles: nature's escape artists?
« on: October 20, 2006, 02:06:00 am »

I assigned a fishery to catch some live fish to fill my nice pond.  They have caught no fish so far, just turtles.  Turtles can go in ponds or cages, but since the purpose of catching them was pond wildlife, I put them in the pond.  I put my two turtles in the pond.  I saw them in the pond, swimming around looking happy.  When I checked later, they were gone!   :eek:

Baffled, I set my fishery to catching fish again, netting me three more turtles.  Turtles are tame-able, so I tamed two of them in case someone really wanted a pet turtle, and I left the other one wild. Into the pond they go.  A few hours later I check on the pond, the two tame turtles are still there, but the wild one is missing.

I assume the pond itself isn't some how killing them, since the tame turtles are still there.  Did they die of old age?  Did a cook sneak out of the kitchen and nab them for turtle soup?  Did they jump in a nearby well?  Did they escape and make their way back to the muddy pond they came from (presumably very, very slowly)?  Where, oh where, are my turtles?

On a related note, does having creatures in the pond have any effect?  Is an empty pond just as good as one with fish or turtles in it?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turtles: nature's escape artists?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 06:50:00 pm »

i think fisherdwarves go to the nearest body of water that has not been discovered to be "empty of fish" and try to fish there.

theres a chance that your stock turtles are being caught and eaten.

or the game might not track wild turtles and fish, spawning and despawning them when needed.

or, since turtles are amphibians, they could be getting out of the pond and leaving.  I think you need cages to catch fish, so you might try some of that.  less a chance of them walking away...

of course, im a pretty unreliable source of information.  take with salt.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 12:01:00 pm »

Most fish have a tag that stops them from leaving the river/pond that they're left in.  Turtles do not have that tag so they can move between the different swamps on the map.  This has, unfortunatly, caused the turtle escapes you've noticed.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 10:51:00 pm »

You can make a glass terrarium, build it, and then designate it as an aquarium, perhaps, and stick the turtles in that.

Not sure if they will stay in those either, but it might be worth a try.