Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need some rocs...  (Read 1208 times)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
I need some rocs...
« on: March 10, 2012, 01:10:41 pm »

Does anybody have an embark on a roc's nest? I would like one for some testing. Surroundings don't really matter.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: I need some rocs...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:17:14 pm »

You know that embarking onto a lair means the creatures become trap immune, right?

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:19:35 pm »

That's the point. I want to have a nest of vicious creatures ready to tear my dwarves to shreds, without being able to just use a cage trap.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:29:20 pm »

I mean... if you don't want to use a cage trap... nothing is forcing you to use them.  Just don't make cages.  Or don't make cage traps.  Problem solved, and you can still find random roaming Rocs on just about any mountainous embark :/
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 02:06:02 pm »

I think he also wants to capture and tame animals or something. I recommend you just edit the raws and give megabeasts the trapavoid tag, that'll allow giant monsters to slaughter your dwarves even if you have cage traps.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 02:24:03 pm »

He furthermore has the problem that he specifically wants rocs. Modding in trapavoid won't mean anything if he never gets rocs in his own games.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 02:26:58 pm »

Yep. I all my years of DF, I've only ever seen 1 roc.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 02:50:31 pm »

Remove all other megabeasts besides rocs from the raws? Megas are in creature_standard.txt, if I remember correctly.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 03:51:13 pm »

I haven't done any significant modding since 40d, but I seem to remember problems happening if you had too few megabeast varieties. For example, if I had a single type of dragon as the only megabeast, strange stuff would show up in legends mode, like cave crocodiles or other animals taking on the role of scourging civilizations.

It's been quite awhile and I don't remember all the details, but the problem seemed to be solved if I had at least three megabeast types.

No clue if this is relevant in DF2012, or if this issue is even relevant to the Roc question. =P

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 04:46:58 pm »

Well then, the solution would be to remove every other megabeast, then repopulate the raws with "Red Roc", "Blue Roc" etc etc - copies of the Roc but with minor differences in the name so you don't get duplicate raw issues.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 05:18:16 pm »

If you need roc, why don't you just get a pick and mine some?

Thank you, thank you very much.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 05:19:54 pm »

Generate large amounts of megabeasts on worldgen, embark on mountain, get 80 dwarves, profit.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 05:28:16 pm »

I had one once, on an older version. There were a breeding pair of Rocs, their nest, and three eggs. They got slaughtered by caravan guards...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.