Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege starts inside fortress  (Read 1314 times)

DeadMan668

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Siege starts inside fortress
« on: March 23, 2008, 07:32:00 am »

I'm playing 0.27.169.33g because that's what runs on the old laptop I carry around with me. Hit 80 dwarves, all well and good, the entrance of my fort is trapped to kingdom come and I get a siege message. That's fine, except the 15 or so goblins start inside my fort. I had an underground tunnel leading to some sand sort of close to the edge - 30 squares or so, but this isn't accessible to the outside except through the aforementioned main entrance. Are future sieges likely to do this as well, or just a one off/random thing?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Siege starts inside fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

Was it the vile force of darkness message?  If so, they should have to come in from the edges, so it's probably a bug and could very well happen again.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

DeadMan668

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:09:00 am »

As I recall the message did appear, though there's nothing in gamelog.txt. I definitely knew I was being attacked (and while I'm not 100% certain, I think it was the vile force of darkness), but would/could/should there be a different message on the screen to accompany 15 armed gobbos in my fort?

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 08:38:00 am »

It could have been an ambush.  It would have said something like "An ambush! Curse them!"

This is probably what happened to you.  Ambushing goblins are invisible until they are discovered by one of your dwarves or animals or if one of them gets caught in a cage trap.  So in this case they could have snuck into your fortress without being noticed.

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 08:43:00 am »

with any luck, at some future point the first seige announcement would be when the gobbos breach the walls in our forts with their own tunnels. That'll be when the serious trapping starts.

YolkFolk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 09:20:00 am »

I can attest to the same thing happening to me. I got a vile force of darkness arriving, and had several troops of goblins show up on the surface at the edges of the map. whilst dealing with those, I saw many of my dwarves in the lower levels of my fortress getting killed. When I went to look, I saw a column of goblins entering my forges via the entrance to my exploratory mines. These tunnels had only one surface access point, and it had been sealed with a grate 2 years earlier.

Goblins had never spawned in that tunnel, or broken through the grate before this attack, which just happened to take place the season after I had dug out a large area of rock adjacent to the map edge several levels down from the surface.

I put it down to goblins spawning 1 tile in from the map edge and not checking to make sure that the actual map edge tile was walkable.

DeadMan668

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Crafty Barnardo:
<STRONG>It could have been an ambush.  It would have said something like "An ambush! Curse them!"

This is probably what happened to you.  Ambushing goblins are invisible until they are discovered by one of your dwarves or animals or if one of them gets caught in a cage trap.  So in this case they could have snuck into your fortress without being noticed.</STRONG>

I've got a double layer of loaded cage traps around my staircase.  :) It could have given me the ambush message, I honestly can't verify which message it was. (Is it just a message at the bottom, or is it like the Vile Forces message?)

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DeadMan668:
<STRONG>I've got a double layer of loaded cage traps around my staircase.   :) It could have given me the ambush message, I honestly can't verify which message it was. (Is it just a message at the bottom, or is it like the Vile Forces message?)</STRONG>

The ambush message is just a message at the bottom. Normally, the game pauses, displays "An ambush! Curse them!" in red text, and moves you to the location of the ambusher that got discovered.

DeadMan668

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 06:49:00 pm »

Ah, definitely not an ambush then. The message I got was a merchant-style one where the normal interface disappears. Thanks for the info.