Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: major farming problem  (Read 1430 times)

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
major farming problem
« on: August 13, 2006, 08:04:00 pm »

Hokay, i've just encountered this 2 times in a row after the Baron and company arrives at the fortress.

I'm suddenly unable to plant any plump helmets at all in the ground. Every season in the farm plot just displays it in solid red. It's not a lack of seeds, as i have about 170 of them

Seeing as i have no sweet pods and i doubt the other two are edible, i'd seriously like to know if this is some kind of bug or not, lest my fortress starves to death.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: major farming problem
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 08:08:00 pm »

Are you in winter? When it's winter, the mud will freeze and disallow any planting of crops.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 08:13:00 pm »

late spring, this is immediately after the nobles arrived.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 08:25:00 pm »

The nobles are probably screwing with what can /can't be planted, maybe? Press Z to get into the overview of the fort and look if there's anything about "Farming" (like there is about "Animals" (butcher or allow to be a pet, etc) and the "Kitchen") at the top bar. If there is, select it with the movement keys and press enter to display whatever's there.

Completely pulled that out of my arse though, because i've never had the chance to get nobles. (Can't get enough food and the game keeps crashing; read other threads marked with [CRASH] made by me  :( )

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 08:27:00 pm »

Solid red is usually for seasonally disallowed plants, but I thought plump helmets plant in all seasons but winter.  I might be able to work fastest from the save if you like.  Somebody reported something like this earlier, but I haven't seen it again.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 08:30:00 pm »

Doesn't it just change red because you wouldn't be able to grow it before winter comes? Then again, it also happens at the end of Spring and Summer. :S

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 08:33:00 pm »

So is that what's not working right?  The way it is supposedly set up, if a plant is good for the next season, it won't red out before it.

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 08:35:00 pm »

that's strange... it returned to normal when it switched to summer. Just that all preferences that i had set earlier for plump helmet planting had been removed. Wonder if it had to do with me hitting 200 seeds or something...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 08:41:00 pm »

I think it might be what people have mentioned -- their seems to be a late season red-out for no good reason.

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 08:59:00 pm »

another minor bug: Dwarves giving food to the wounded don't seem to mind stealing from visiting merchants.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 09:19:00 pm »

Why don't they learn?  I've told them like twice that that's bad!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 09:24:00 pm »

But they're stealing from the wealthy merchants to help poor starving wounded dwarves, Toady!  How could you condemn them for that?

...I told you when I first heard about it.  This game should be called Liberal Dwarf Squad.

...actually, I always thought of dwarves as the more conservative of the generic fantasy races.  Something about the beards.  Elves are liberal in that they're environmentalists and generally shown with a collective economy, but they're Roosevelt old-guard liberals who condemn younger races for mistreating animals from their massive ten-thousand-year-old forest fortresses.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 01:58:00 am »

Actually, speaking of this I had a farming problem as well.

I was steadily running out of plump helmet seeds, and wondering why. I eventually figured out that when they were being cooked in the kitchen, the seeds were apparently cooked with them.

Is this a bug, or intentional?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 02:18:00 am »

Yeah, it adds to the flavor.  I think you can turn off plant cooking in the kitchen [z - kitchen].  I suppose the cook could pick out the seeds first, but it should make the job take longer and lower the craft quality rolls or something.