Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starving and or Soon to be Starving  (Read 1270 times)

Doctor Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
Starving and or Soon to be Starving
« on: March 11, 2012, 02:30:14 am »

No matter how many times i play DFFM, I end up having my people starve to death or they go crazy or killed by rampaging creatures. So i decided to try to build a farm, so i channeled some water to my wall i built... then... what? the water wouldn't go under the wall and the water was unusable. What do i do to get the water out and how do i get soil for my farm plot and last thing I would really appreciate some tips on how to gather food for survival until i can figure the whole farming shabang down. I was on the Wiki which im still on having some trouble with... so that is why i have asked for assistance here.
Jumping into a waterfall to get water is Spectacular.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starving and or Soon to be Starving
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 02:51:27 am »

Underground crops can be planted in soil layers without the need for irrigation (irrigation was required in all cases in some older versions of the game), assuming you have a soil layer in your embark (if you're on a mountain.. too bad), you just need to dig 1 layer down, mine out a small area, then build a farm plot and tell it to grow plump helmets. Also, gathering plants and killing local wildlife can provide a decent source of food.

Edit: What's "DFFM"?

Doctor Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 02:56:15 am »

Dwarf Fortress Fortress Mode XD and i dont have any hunters or military at all... right now im building the base and if they all die, ill recapture it and restart

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 03:05:38 am »

Ah. Lovely! Welcome to the game :P I spent 3 full days reading the wiki before i started my first successful fort. That's probably just me though.

Hunting is pretty easy to setup. Here's a full step-by-step that i might use, in no particular order:

1) chop trees
2) build a bowyers workshop
3) make 1 wood crossbow
4) build a craftdwarfs workshop
5) make some wooden bolts
6) build a leather workshop
7) make 1 leather quiver
8) build a butchers workshop
9) build a tanners workshop
10) build a kitchen
11) designate a refuse stockpile nearby
12) enable butchering/tanning/cooking on at least 1 dwarf
13) enable hunting on 1 dwarf

When you enable hunting, the dwarf will grab a crossbow, quiver, and bolts, and then run out into the wild and shoot things. When he kills them, he (or someone) will drag the corpse back to the butchers workshop or refuse stockpile, and a dwarf with butchering enabled will slice it up.

If that's too complicated for you right now, just stick with my first suggestion - dig 1 level down, carve out some soil, build some farm plots and plant some plump helmets. Lots and lots of plump helmets! Edit: Or even simpler, just designate the entire map with 'gather plants' :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:07:53 am by schismatise »

Doctor Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 03:07:52 am »

That will come into use if i can find any damn trees. The channel i mentioned before... It is really immobilizing my construction workers. anyway i can get rid of it? and also how do i extract the water from the channel? Sorry for the Bombardment of Questions there.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 03:08:14 am »

Ah. Lovely! Welcome to the game :P I spent 3 full days reading the wiki before i started my first successful fort. That's probably just me though.

Hunting is pretty easy to setup. Here's a full step-by-step that i might use, in no particular order:

1) chop trees
2) build a bowyers workshop
3) make 1 wood crossbow
4) build a craftdwarfs workshop
5) make some wooden bolts
6) build a leather workshop
7) make 1 leather quiver
8) build a butchers workshop
9) build a tanners workshop
10) build a kitchen
11) designate a refuse stockpile nearby
12) enable butchering/tanning/cooking on at least 1 dwarf
13) enable hunting on 1 dwarf

When you enable hunting, the dwarf will grab a crossbow, quiver, and bolts, and then run out into the wild and shoot things. When he kills them, he (or someone) will drag the corpse back to the butchers workshop or refuse stockpile, and a dwarf with butchering enabled will slice it up.

If that's too complicated for you right now, just stick with my first suggestion - dig 1 level down, carve out some soil, build some farm plots and plant some plump helmets. Lots and lots of plump helmets!

Also, i add that you might want to make a bonecarvers workshop, so you can use the bones produced from butchering to make new bolts for your hunter.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 03:08:58 am »

Farms haven't required irrigation since (IIRC) 0.31.18, as long as they're built on soil.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 03:10:48 am »

That will come into use if i can find any damn trees. The channel i mentioned before... It is really immobilizing my construction workers. anyway i can get rid of it? and also how do i extract the water from the channel? Sorry for the Bombardment of Questions there.

No offense but from the level of questions you're asking, i would recommend a little more reading of the wiki :P

You can build a floor over the channel so dwarves can walk over it. Not sure what you mean by extracting the water, but if you need it for drinking, you don't need to do anything in particular - thirsty dwarves without access to alcohol will drink from nearby water on their own. If you need it for medical purposes such as cleaning, you'll need buckets (probably made from wood). If you need it for farming, you are overcomplicating things :P

Doctor Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 03:15:05 am »

Farming HOE! and hunting HOE! also i built the channel to get water under a wall so i can have drinking source from the local river. now im just encasing a section of the river in a wall.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 03:34:41 am »

Before we look at farming, lets save some starving dwarves, assuming you are in an environment where you can see trees growing on the surface, and it's safe to send dwarves up there.  I am going to assume you did not embark on a mountain and nothing else, and likewise that you did not embark in a very rough environment (like a haunted or worse place), so your dwarves can often go onto the surface.  Press 'd', then 'p', and press enter and drag your cursor over a large area filled with plants.  The ones that are shrubs sometimes have fruit that can be eaten and/or brewed, and your dwarves (that have herbalist skill enabled at least) will go gather all the wild plants they can.  Expect to try to gather from 10 shrubs before you get 1 plant - and that plant might not be edible.  However, if you have dwarves that are almost dead, this is a way to try and feed them almost immediately.

Also before we look at farming, I know you have access to water.  How about fishing?  This is fairly fast and fairly safe, if your environment isn't to scary.  Set a few dwarves to have the fishing labor enabled, and press 'b' 'w' 'h' to place a fishery workshop.  Make sure at least one not very busy dwarf has fish cleaning as a job it can do.  As soon as your dwarves catch some fish (don't worry if you cant see fish, they are often there and after a time the game will tell you that they are not if not) the fishery worker will start turning that fish into food (newly caught fish don't taste good without cleaning).

Hopefully your dwarves are not to hungry to cooperate, since maybe they've eaten from the instructions above.  It's time to talk farms!

There's two types of seeds, two basic types at least.

One you embarked with, those are plump helmets among others.  This type grows underground.  Only underground.

They will grow in either 'dirt farms', that don't need to be watered ever, or on rock farms, that you cannot start until you water once.

To water something, you just want a little bit of water there.  And then you want the water to go away.  Really shallow water will evaporate.  Many people make a way to get some water (you did that by channeling to your wall), but BEFORE they do that, they make a way to shut that water off so they can eventually get rid of it and enjoy the mud it made - This can be complex.  I think more complicated then you are ready for, since the wiki is not working well for you.

So to start, you need to find DIRT that is SUBTERRANEAN in the DARK.  You can use 'k' to do that, just move your cursor around with the arrow keys until you see something that looks like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It can be any kind of dirt, from sand to clay, but you don't want any sort of rock, not even mudstone or sandstone - if it's stone it has to be irrigated first.  And the square has to be dark, and subterranean, or you will be trying to grow a totally different sort of plant.

Find a few squares of underground dirt that are dark, maybe a group of three by three (three tall by three wide) that form a square together.  Press 'b', then 'p', then press 'u' twice, then 'k' twice.  This will make a farm plot just that size and shape.  Press enter when you have that superimposed over the dirt you picked out.

A dwarf with farming labor enabled will head over and build the farm plot.  Now you've got more work to do, once that's done.

Press 'q' and move your cursor over the farm.  It should look a lot like this - though with fewer plants - but you want to see plump helmets.  If you don't, you have more problems, maybe you don't have any seeds for this sort of plant, or maybe you put the farm in the wrong place (like somewhere with light or maybe on rock).  Press down arrow to highlight plump helmets, then enter.

Now press a, b, c, d, to change seasons that planting will happen, and select plump helmets for each one.  There's several reasons why you don't want the other plants, but I recommend you experiment to see why - plump helmets for now will fix all your problems and fill all your needs, at least a little bit.  Later you can do more complex things if you want.

Once you've done that, your dwarves should start running over with plump helmet seeds to plant, and in a few game weeks your troubles with food should be nearly over.

Above ground planting is not that much different, but you need to have the seeds of above ground plants, and you cant start with them.  You'll find them through herbalism, trying to gather the wild plants.  Once you eat them or brew them, there will be seeds, and you can grow those.  You can also get aboveground seeds by trading, but that's a later thing too, and some seeds wont grow where you happened to embark, just like in life some plants need hotter/colder or wetter/drier conditions than you happened to pick this time.  Above ground farming can be easier than below ground, but only you can tell if this is true for you.  To make your above ground farm, do the same thing you did belowground, look for dirt but now you want to see Outside Light and Above Ground where you'd seen Inside, Dark, and Subterranean.

Good luck and keep having fun, this game is aweome and gets better the more you understand it!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You embarked somewhere, and the environment there changes how things work.  If you can see trees and shrubs around the area you embarked in, you can farm there.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 03:53:31 am »

That will come into use if i can find any damn trees.

Erm. You... don't have trees? You might want to pick an embark site that has trees, then. They're kinda important for beds and metalworking and bins, and such.

Doctor Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 04:08:44 am »

I found some trees, and theres a local spot where they grow quite nicely.