Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to force an Obsidian Coffer?  (Read 1798 times)

Ichyta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to force an Obsidian Coffer?
« on: October 19, 2006, 09:32:00 am »

Hi!

I've been playing for a couple of days, and now I have reached the point where I got Nobles.
As Nobles do, they start requesting things. My Sheriff wants an Obsidian Coffer, but my Mason seems to refuse to use Obsidian, even though I managed to place some of it very close to his workshop.
What is worse, the Mason seems to only use normal rocks, but never dark ones for the coffers...

Now I'm stuck with 50 coffers that my Sheriff doesn't want.

Incidentally, I have an artifact, which is an Obsidian Coffer, but I suppose that's just for status, but can't actually be used in a room?

[Edit: I forgot the actual question...]

Is there a way to force my Mason to use Obsidian for a coffer?

[ October 19, 2006: Message edited by: Ichyta ]

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
Re: How to force an Obsidian Coffer?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 10:09:00 am »

You first have to select what sort of stone you use for making furniture. If you look at the bottom in your mason workshop's menu, you will see that there are toggle-keys for stone, dark stone and light stone. Since Obsidian is dark stone, that might be your first problem.

Try that for a while and see if some obsidian will get picked up. By the sounds of it, you already that sort of stone close by, so a still working mason (instead of one coming to the job) would pick it first over some other type.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 10:12:00 am »

Most of the time it's true, but I have a bunch of limestone loving nobles and when I placed Mason's shop next to the stockpile of limestone it still took me at least 10 weapon racks before I got a limestone one.

[ October 19, 2006: Message edited by: psychologicalshock ]

Ichyta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 10:27:00 am »

Ohhhh, thanks!

That was embarrassingly easy and obvious.   :p

Thanks for the very quick help, it worked now after only two more crafts (the first was a Jet Coffer).

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 11:56:00 am »

A neat trick is to build and deconstruct one-square bridges of whatever material you want to use immediately next to where you're making the items. That way, when the artisan goes to pick up the nearest stone, the ex-bridge will be right there. That's also a good way to consolidate obsidian and limestone for dark stone swords and steel.

Mud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 11:58:00 am »

It seems to me like Craftsdwarves will always use Obsidian for dark stone short swords if you have any. I could be wrong though.

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 01:15:00 pm »

Thats because you can ONLY make dark-stone-short-swords from obsidian, not onyx, jet, or whatever else.

That bridge idea does seem a neat trick for handling the Limestone problem, at least until specialized stockpiles are implemented.

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 01:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wahnsinniger:
<STRONG>Thats because you can ONLY make dark-stone-short-swords from obsidian, not onyx, jet, or whatever else.</STRONG>

The order did get renamed from craft obsidian short sword to craft dark stone short sword, though. So um. Yeah. Maybe the swords are automatically named Obsidian Short Swords even though they're actually made out of other things?

Entity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 01:56:00 pm »

No, they're only made of obsidian. Craftsdwarves won't make them if you've got jet but no obsidian lying around, I've tried.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 11:45:00 pm »

Ohh, that limestone bridge is some nice thinking.  You don't even have to completely build the thing, just cancel once the stone gets hauled.  I'm adding that to the wiki.