Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unconsciousness  (Read 1182 times)

Grebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unconsciousness
« on: March 23, 2008, 02:17:00 am »

I'm new to the whole military thing, I have a dwarf with a sparring injury that healed apparently, but he keeps falling unconscious.  In the brief time he's awake, he has pain in a limb that doesn't appear to be injured, then he passes out again.  Nobody will rescue him...  Anything I can do here?  Or do I just stick a fork in him?

Thanks bunches!

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unconsciousness
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 02:34:00 am »

He may have nervous system damage; if there are green arrows on the wounds screen, this means there are more wounds than can be displayed in the window; since the screen is filled perfectly by all nonwounded body parts, this means it will overflow whenever a body part that doesn't normally display is wounded (all organs, spine, brain, etc.) press +\- to scroll through these to check.

Otherwise not sure, I've never had a dwarf with phantom pains but I suppose it would be plausible, given the realism in the game.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 04:19:00 am »

Remember. There's two different colours of grey. Dark grey means the limb is lopped off and no longer exists. That means he is missing something there, which might be causing him pain.

If that isn't it, then check to scroll down the wounds screen. Just to make sure you didn't miss anything. And if that isn't it...

KILL HIM FOR DISTRACTING REAL WORK!

Grebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 10:32:00 am »

Hmm... no green arrows but I did page down, and lo and behold, the poor fellow has 2 lopped off eyes and a slightly wounded throat.  Guess he's fertilizer.

Grebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 10:35:00 am »

Oh!  That arrow!  Way down in the corner, where I wouldn't have ever noticed it!   :)

thanks.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 11:28:00 am »

Also, the 'Pain' indicator has nothing to do with the body part that it appears next to.  That just means that there is some wound on some body part causing pain.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 11:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Grebo:
<STRONG>Oh!  That arrow!  Way down in the corner, where I wouldn't have ever noticed it!    :)

thanks.</STRONG>

Hmm, it is kinda out of the way down there, isn't it?

Sorry, I'll have to remember to mention that the next time this comes up.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »

Dwarves definitely have phantom pain from lopped-off limbs, or poked-out eyes.  More likely, though, this dwarf has pain from a mangled (red) limb.  It will heal, slowly.  But when the dwarf passes out, he stops resting (!) and you have to tear up his bed so he gets re-rescued.  Your dwarf is only 50-50 if you work hard to nurse him to health.

Sticking a fork in him would probably kill him quicker.  Instead, you'll be forced to watch him slowly degenerate, until at the last moment he's miserable, dehydrated, starving, extremely drowsy, and unconscious.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

Some would consider such a wounded fellow perfect material for the Fortress Guard, and it's perhaps more humane (dwarfane? stumpane?) than the fork.   :)
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 12:40:00 pm »

They get way less sparring injuries if you tell them to fight unarmed until they are competent armor users and they have the best armor you can give them, or just make them marksmen.
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 02:08:00 pm »

The meme is that armor usage doesn't matter except for speed; wrestling does help a lot though, and so does shield usage.  I'm not clear on how accurate that all is, but I have my army unarmed until they're champion wrestlers (and then I give them a weapon) or they get brain-damaged (and then I give them a crossbow and switch to a buckler).