Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: problem building aqueducts  (Read 1221 times)

w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/
problem building aqueducts
« on: October 19, 2006, 01:49:00 am »

I'm trying to build a couple of aqueducts.  I've tried each of them at least three times now; every time, I eventually (after a long time) get a message saying that one of my dwarfs "cancels Construct Building: Job item lost or destroyed."  

This is immediately followed by "The dwarves were unable to complete the Rough rock Aqueduct."

The plotted aqueduct then disappears, and I'm back to square one.

Like I said, at least three times apiece so far.  And it takes an amazing amount of time for this to happen (lots of stone hauling over vast distances, before somebody finally decides that some "job item" was "lost or destroyed".

What could be the problem? Are stones chosen for use in aqueducts not marked as pending for tasks, or something? So somebody else takes them for some other purpose during the vast amount of time that it takes the aqueduct builder to gather them?

Is there anything I can do to get my aqueducts built?

d2d

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: problem building aqueducts
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 09:05:00 am »

Stop using stones, is the best advice I can give.  Instead, designate bar/block stockpiles that are reachable to the location of the aqueduct, and build blocks in your mason's workshop.  Doesnt take long for a mason to make them.

What I find happens with stones is that you lock various doors, bring up bridges, sometimes trees grow in doorways that had been flooded...all kinds of things can happen, often making one or more stones that you happen to choose inaccessible.  If you want the bridge/aqueduct/road etc. reliably built, use blocks.  You'll never go back, I assure you  :)

Alan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: problem building aqueducts
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 08:14:00 pm »

(1) Have your miners dig out a small area near the intended aquaduct/bridge construction site, producing enough pieces of stone for your planned construction.  Make sure there are no other digging tasks occurring in your fortress at the same time.

(2) Order the construction of the bridge or aquaduct, selecting as raw materials the LAST pieces of stone on the list - which will be the ones your miners just dug out.

Since the masons will be using materials located right next to the job site, construction will occur fairly quickly.