Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Loitering - Why?  (Read 1170 times)

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
Loitering - Why?
« on: March 10, 2012, 01:48:19 am »

Can someone please confirm with me that this is actually happening?

I don't understand its happened in all the time iv been playing.

Warriors, standing around old battlefields.

Parents loitering at children death locations.

What is happening? is there some more complicated code behind the feelings of dwarfs?

I never see a "Enjoyed visiting battle location" or anything like that.

And when i check the dwarfs doing the loitering it all ways says "No Job".

Can anyone give me a technical explanation for whats happening?
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Loitering - Why?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 02:00:01 am »

Its called offering themselves as sacrifice

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:02:42 am »

No, it's not.
I'm interested in learning what this is about myself; dwarven personalities are already rather fascinating before the planned personality rewrite! I've had this phenomena quite often, also.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 02:02:51 am »

This behavior has actually been around for quite some time. I frequently have dwarves hanging around sites where they were involved in battles, where someone they cared about died, or perhaps most oddly, where they got stuck ("Hey, Urist! Remember the time I walled myself in over here?"). I'm afraid I can't shed any light on what causes it.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 02:14:27 am »

Basically, an idle dwarf goes to one of three categories of place. The first category is meeting areas, meeting halls, statue gardens, and the like. The second category is their personal chambers. The third category is places where their job took them recently. You're noticing it when dwarves go to that third category.

Since soldiers usually don't have many jobs aside from slaughtering things, so when they idle they tend to go to the last place they were stationed or where they last killed things. Parents may be going to where they dropped their child that final time, since they might've gotten a "seek infant" job that took them to that location. Builders who are left idle will often go to the last thing they built. It's all the same behavior, idling near the last place they worked.

Dwarves who like crowds may be less likely to engage in this behavior because they're more likely to choose to go to public places, i.e. meeting areas. Loner dwarves may also be less prone to it because they prefer to loiter in private chambers. This is speculation on my part, however.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 03:38:49 am »

@NecroRebel i think this is a good analysis and probably the case because i think i have seen masons return to the workshops when all jobs are done and they are set to "No Job".
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 03:55:11 am »

It can be annoying if soldiers keep lingering around at the last place where they killed something because that spot might be dangerous. A workaround is to give them a new "move to X" order to a safe spot after the last fight. If your mason idles around near his workshop thatīs no big problem.. if anything he will be faster to start crafting new stuff because he is already nearby.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 06:29:03 am »

-snip-

Mothers standing over the spot they remembered dropping their children...

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 08:21:43 am »

They are searching for a new shield.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.