Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gauntlgrym - the dwarfiest book i read so far  (Read 944 times)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Gauntlgrym - the dwarfiest book i read so far
« on: March 26, 2012, 03:41:20 pm »

So i read the drizzt do urden series (forgotten realms/adnd) mainly because i like drow (and i hate him, and though i know he got plot armor and is a mary sue hope he will die and at least he suffers :x). But with his best friend being a dwarven king there is a lot about dwarven culture, and i love dwarves just as much.

Now the older books had some neat insighst into the dwarves (and even more with the drow of course), but this one while the first pages are a bit annoying (fast forward of 70 years with just a lot of explaining the old and as well creating new characters) the next pages dive directly into the the great dwarven hall of gauntlygrm, so if you want to read this book, i put the following in spoiler, its worth not getting spoiled, even without knowing the other books its good to read. because of the mentioned fast forward stuff with explaniation you dont los much without knowing the other 30 books of the series ^^ also dwarves are the only race in the main cast with more than one character ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also i have to say at this point: i only read half of this book, and yet i thought i have to share with the df community for whatever reason, so read the spoiler if you need, or better read the book, or if you can afford to buy 30 books read the whole series, you just need to ignore drizzt (though some even love him, for whatever reaseon, the dwarves are just more awesome anyway... even the humans raised by dwarves in those older books are far greater :p)
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."