Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Social Science Question: Missing dwarves  (Read 1230 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Social Science Question: Missing dwarves
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:18:32 pm »

How do missing dwarves work re: giving unhappy thoughts to their loved ones? As in, do they get the unhappy thought when the body is discovered? If the body is never discovered, e.g. if the dwarf was killed by being dumped in a volcano, will they never get an unhappy thought from it? If so, that would mean atomsmashing or magma disposal would be a safe way to kill anyone without making anyone sad. Someone popular die? Atomsmash all his friends! Tantrum spiral averted.

Relatedly, can dwarves become ghosts if the body was never found?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Social Science Question: Missing dwarves
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:29:36 pm »

1) Toady lately fixed that families could telepathically sense deaths before disseverance of bodies - I think dwarves will still assume that a fellow dorf is dead after a period of time, but not instantly when he dies.

2) Yes.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 12:09:27 am »

Probably an oft-asked question, but search turned up a zillion inconclusive results:

If a dwarf gets volcanoed and becomes "missing," can you never make a slab for him/her? Will the dwarf eventually get a status like "presumed dead" that will let you make a ghost-averting slab?

Alem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 12:43:15 am »

It seems inconclusive at the moment. I have had a total of two miners get immolated and no bodies (and thus never found), one of them when they came back as a ghost I gained the ability to slab em, the other I did not.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 01:02:22 am »

I lost a dwarf to magma recently, who came back as a ghost. I can't make a slab, either, and there's no way to ever recover the body.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 01:18:05 am »

I read somewhere that you just need to wait longer till they're presumed dead. Them you can make the slab... let me see if i can find the post.

engrave slabs for missing dwarfs?
Personalized slabs take 3 steps.
Yup.  True.  But what is a dwarf to do when his craftsman menu has no dental records or death cert?  ^ Keyword: Missing.  Farmerbob, until Urist McCSI finds evidence, ya can't engrave a slab from what I am gathering.

Oh ya, in the new version, he has to stay missing for a while before they give up and say they are dead.  Not sure of the duration, probebly no more than a season.
I had a slab for one corpse  could find, but after six years I still could not engrrave a slab for my missing dwarf.  I also had two dwarves die with completely missing bodies.  they apparently died in well trafficed areas, because thats where theirs ghosts are at, but no sign of bodies.
Ok so it seems they SHOULD become slabable, but there might be a bug somewhere that prevents it from happening on occasion.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:20:10 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 01:24:12 am »

I lost a dwarf to magma recently, who came back as a ghost. I can't make a slab, either, and there's no way to ever recover the body.

Same.

Ok so it seems they SHOULD become slabable, but there might be a bug somewhere that prevents it from happening on occasion.

I reckon so.