Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to have a sucessful adventurer?  (Read 1355 times)

agricola

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to have a sucessful adventurer?
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:38:40 am »

I really like the potential of this mode but I have a hard time getting started. I've only had one hero that I have actually been content with (368 kills, multiple skills in Legendary) over the course of the past week in which I've had several dozen adventurers.

How exactly do you get far in this mode? I've been reading around and I have tried making a short history for less experienced enemies, I've tried being a demigod with high dodge, and I try getting as many companions as possible and using them as shields. It seems like the only quests that you can get done when you first start off are the vampire and monsters in the lair ones and if you arent given those you need to go to another town. Going into tombs, catacombs, dungeons, random camps, etc does not end very well for me.

What are good ways of farming up your skills would be a good starting point

I've tried standing in town just throwing dirt up in the air over and over until I was a Legendary thrower but it turns out it is not a very good skill to have at Legendary in comparison to the others.

Doctor Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
Re: How to have a sucessful adventurer?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 04:51:23 am »

I've found sharp rocks very deadly with the Throwing skill. Killed a pack of wolves with them before they even reached me. My guy however died when he was swimming, got shot with an arrow, got stunned, then it turned to winter and killed me xD
Jumping into a waterfall to get water is Spectacular.

agricola

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 05:11:30 am »

That is how I lost my most successful adventurer. I was trying to swim to another continent because I got exiled from all the towns in the area and wanted to see if I could talk to people in another region. I did not realize it was mid winter.

With throwing, I got it to legendary 3 times. Died to outlaws one time. Drowned another time. And got bogeymaned the other time. All of this happened within like 1 day time of getting to legendary.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 06:03:28 am »

About swimming to an out of reach continent, it would be great to have docks and harbors in adventure mode. Having your own boat would make travelling on water more fun, with the addition of humongous sea-creatures(Kraken, or even Cthulhu) and seastorms~
My post ends here.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 06:07:42 am »

About swimming to an out of reach continent, it would be great to have docks and harbors in adventure mode. Having your own boat would make travelling on water more fun, with the addition of humongous sea-creatures(Kraken, or even Cthulhu) and seastorms~

but insta-freezing would probably make your boat implode and possibly cause your adventurer to die also....

... that DOES sound like !!FUN!!

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 06:40:20 am »

An experienced adventurer would jump the moment sea instafreeze, narrowly escaping the implosion in bullet time, and would continue travelling on foot. Therefore, pack skates besides a crutch too. Wait, I have an idea - crutch-skates!

The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 06:42:29 am »

How do you win fortress mode? ;p

Otherwise, it's all down to your playstyles. Sneak, fight. Your average humanoid lives from anywhere from 170-immortal, so you'll have plenty of time to meddle, there is no need to rush :P

Poliphorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 09:40:59 am »

You can get legendary fighter and wrestler right off the bat by wandering out of the town, finding some harmless woodland creature, using shift+C to switch your combat preference to close quarters so that you automatically wrestle opponents, and then just wrestling them until you get both skills up. You need to watch out to make sure you don't start strangling them though, or you'll need to find something else to wrestle after it dies.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 10:02:42 am »

Adventure mode becomes really pretty easy if you cheap out and do one of these things like swimming across the ocean on sneak - after that you'll be very tough and can probably hit average enemies from stealth forever without them noticing, which is incredibly stupid. Or just run around throwing rocks from hiding and killing everything, or wrestle a koala forever, or spend a few days getting hit by a flock of ravens. It's the adventure mode version of danger room.

If you want to do it in a more interesting way, I would highly recommend going as an elf, as the extra speed and peace with wildlife really saves your ass. The first thing you do should be sneaking around a dungeon to find a good weapon like a *iron morning star*, else you're toast. Use sneak a lot, and only attack non-bow enemies in melee combat when you're sure there's no marksmen around to send an arrow through your spine. Only ever fight one foe at a time, no matter how easy ones - I've had a regular hammerman smash my skull in from behind on an adventurer who could kill boss type enemies just holding the direction button. Never, ever be overconfident. For dealing with any dangerous enemy, the order is: don't fight something faster and stronger than you AT ALL, just leave it (a demigod elf with maxed agility never runs into this situation, being practically always faster). Only attack when you have an easy, fairly good shot at a significant body part or better. If you don't, move around. First cripple the stomach and/or one leg to slow them down, then the weapon arm. It takes a lot of concentration and keeping your state of mind serious, but you can have an epic level adventurer even in this version without exploiting game mechanics.

I know you asked about farming, but frankly it's less fun and doesn't even give you bragging rights.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

agricola

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 10:23:16 am »

I know you asked about farming, but frankly it's less fun and doesn't even give you bragging rights.

Yea, I just meant in general a safe way of getting higher levels I didn't necessarily mean cheesey grinding I prefer fighting people to just doing some mundane task over and over. I guess I will have to try sneaking more. I rarely do that and archers do seem to wreck my face quite a lot. What exactly does being in sneak raise?

And while throwing stuff up in the air over and over to get legendary throwing is nothing to brag about, I think swimming to another continent to train and then kicking everyone's butt is pretty badass ^^