Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water and pressure plates  (Read 1406 times)

Veinless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water and pressure plates
« on: October 18, 2006, 08:37:00 am »

Disclaimer: no experience with pressure plates.. yet.

Does water set off a pressure plate?  For some strange reason, I have an urge to build the world's largest binary adding machine.

Maybe I play this too much.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water and pressure plates
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 05:51:00 pm »

I am highly amused by this idea. I'm not certain if water triggers pressure plates, or if pressure plates even allow for a "toggle" as opposed to only opening floodgates.

I can think of a way that you could display binary:

code:

b   b b
b B b b
l 0 l l

Where b is a down bridge and B is an raise bridge. But how are you going to implement addition? You would need some way to have a bridge trigger another bridge only if the first bridge is being raised, say.

I'm curious to hear what ideas you have, though. (And I think that conditional mechanisms should definately be added eventually; chain reactions are fun.)

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 05:55:00 pm »

Don't think they do. Water-sensitive pressure plates have been suggested, though.
(Also, you might be interested in reading "Insane mechanism ideas", if you haven't already.)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »

you dont need water sensative pressure plates.  you need animals that run from a flood.

sure theres some room for error in the system, but a huge hydrocalculator that operates by herding animals over presure plates is just awsome.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 06:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>you dont need water sensative pressure plates.  you need animals that run from a flood.

sure theres some room for error in the system, but a huge hydrocalculator that operates by herding animals over presure plates is just awsome.</STRONG>

Really, though, you could do that with just doors; I have never seen a door that a tamed animal didn't want to cross, especially if there was a well on the other side. (Do animals go towards wells, or just where-ever dwarves have been lately? I notice that they always seem to be wherever it is most inconvenient...)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 06:57:00 pm »

clearly, by your own logic, this would not work.  it would be most inconvenient for them not to step on the pressure plate when needed, and this is exactly what they would do.  animals are tricky little buggers, sometimes.

doors would certainly be necessary though, as they would have to be opened for the animal to have access to the pressure plate as soon as the flood was started.  there might be some trouble with them stepping on it multiple times, though.

There could be other problems also, when you need to know the product of six and seven, but your racoon has died of old age.  perhaps each animal should be a breeding pair...

20,000leeks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 03:31:00 am »

Animals seem to flock around meeting hall areas - they'll hang around my well and dining room, but not the communal sleeping hall. How the animals know about the meeting hall is beyond me, though. Perhaps something in the cave river water makes them sensitive to dwarf thoughts.