Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What determines immigration rates? (+world seed)  (Read 1119 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What determines immigration rates? (+world seed)
« on: March 22, 2008, 02:04:00 am »

I know, I know, exported wealth and all that. But I've built several forts along basically similar lines, and most of them get one huge migration per year - that's always over 20 dwarves - and I much prefer getting two smaller migrations. Except that my most recent fortress got a migration of 9 dwarves in the summer of the first year, and then 11 more in the autumn! I'm up to 27 dwarves and the first year hasn't ended. So what determines whether you get lots of little migrations or a few big ones?

Incidentally, my new fort site is looking pretty dang nice. Copious quantities of chalk, with hematite and magnetite (and gold in the granite layer down at the bottom where I put the quarters), a brook and a volcano, and the dwarves even put their wagon in a very nicely-defensible blind canyon. I recommend it.

Created in DF v0.27.176.38b.

[WORLD_GEN]
       [TITLE:STANDARD]
       [SEED:799400078]
       [DIM:257:257]

Located near one of the pair of volcanos in the southern part of the world, in a freshwater marsh.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What determines immigration rates? (+world seed)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 03:53:00 am »

How much coal/lignite in your location? And what dimension embark and location of it in local?
Magma is overrated.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

I believe it was one less tall and one more wide than the default, and I've found coal, but haven't bothered to map it out entirely since I'm more interested in the magma.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 04:05:00 pm »

I've never figured out what determines immigration.  I've had a colony worth almost nothing and a long distance from any mountainhomes get flooded with two dozen immigrants, and I've had a colony worth a metric ton of qurry in the middle of the kingdom receive almost no immigrants, and everything in between.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

At this point, I'm up to 54 dwarves, and it's midsummer of the second year. Oh, well...should be interesting, anyway.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »

As far as i can tell, the timing and number of waves is completely random. For example, i didn't get my first migrants until after the elven caravan this fort.
Magma is overrated.

xzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 12:54:00 am »

For a while I was under the impression that mortality rate would reduce the number of immigrants you get, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've recruited immigrant waves with 25+ dwarves, and locked them outside my fortress to force them to kill each other with tantrums.. my next wave was just as large.