Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I just got trolled by the game. (HFS spoilers)  (Read 2564 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
I just got trolled by the game. (HFS spoilers)
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:05:41 am »

To summarize, I find an adamantine spire extending to one z-level above the top of the third cavern layer.  AWESOME right?

No.

Let this be a warning against taking adamantine pillars lightly.

My poor miner discovered the stick is 1z under that at the top of the third cavern layer.  Now my third and second cavern layers are full of them due to a deep pit connecting them.

I have them sealed off though.

GOD DAMNIT they're going down the magma pipe in the third cavern and coming up through my magma plumbing system.  At least destroying all the pumps is going to take them a while.

Now they're coming up through the forge areas too after destroying a floodgate.  The forges are also filling with lava now, but that's no issue compared to 5 20 40 demons.

And actually, as I'm posting this I have fifty demons rampaging through my fortress slaughtering everything and smashing even more.  Blood is everywhere, smoke is filling the halls, I'm down from 209 dwarves to 22, the military was caught with their pants down but they wouldn't have stood a chance even if they had been ready.  By the time you finish reading this, the fortress will have fallen.  Two hundred nine souls for the blood god, plus twenty war grizzly bears.

Migrants have arrived.  Feel bad for them.  Fifty souls for the blood god.

Oh look, right behind them a vile force of LOL SUCKERS just arrived.  Eighty more souls for the blood god.

I should have seen this coming.  But this was indeed FUN, and if I wasn't so sleepy and about to go to bed I'd write up a sufficiently creepy and dramatic apocalyptic log from the POV of some unfortunate dwarf.  Maybe in the morning.

I feel like the game did this to me:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

!!Urist Unfortune!!

• Bay Watcher
  • Binary logic. Invaders=true, MagmaPump=True
    • View Profile
Re: I just got trolled by the game. (HFS spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 03:52:11 am »

haha, nice. thats fun to do every now and then. but i really wanna find the circus tent, ive never seen it. (i guess i dont need to call it that, cuzz u mentioned this is a spoiler thread)
Quote from: Creamcorn on March 12, 2010, 04:01:25 pm
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.

!!Urist Unfortune!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 03:53:22 am »

i just tried "Reveal" for the first time but, it didnt work for me :(

Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 04:02:36 am »

You have to 'unreveal,' then 'reveal hell.' No clowns are down there yet as you'll see, but you can see where the peak of the tents is.

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 05:23:06 am »

When sealing off the clowns, it's usually best to use a cave in instead of walls. As some of them are building smashers. Also, Don't hesitate on sacrificing a few dwarves to seal off the circus as far down as possible, So that you don't have to waste a lot of valuable time checking all possible entry ways and crying laughing because you missed one.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 06:51:38 am »

When sealing off the clowns, it's usually best to use a cave in instead of walls. As some of them are building smashers. Also, Don't hesitate on sacrificing a few dwarves to seal off the circus as far down as possible, So that you don't have to waste a lot of valuable time checking all possible entry ways and crying laughing because you missed one.

Building destroyers can't destroy walls...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 08:15:20 am »

just be VERY careful when digging through adamantine. You can also start making adamantine fortifications to see through, and most demons will not get through. Excepted smoke and steam demons, but those are weak and not necessarily present during the demon zerg rush.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 03:53:45 pm »

Nah, the game was just showing you it loved you the only way it knew how. By flooding your fortress with tentacles, death and fire.

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 03:56:09 pm »

Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 05:47:08 pm »

Nah, the game was just showing you it loved you the only way it knew how. By flooding your fortress with tentacles, death and fire.

Probably, yes.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

!!Urist Unfortune!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 01:22:30 am »

You have to 'unreveal,' then 'reveal hell.' No clowns are down there yet as you'll see, but you can see where the peak of the tents is.

What do u mean" unreveal then reveal". i couldnt even get the reveal program to work. figured it was cuzz of the new df release