Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS is failing  (Read 971 times)

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS is failing
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:32:55 pm »

Is there any way (aside from buying a new bleeding edge computer, mine should work just fine) to improve my FPS?
I've got no mods running, just DF Hack, and all I have the dwarves doing is carving a bunch of ramps, but I'm getting like 6-7 frames per second.
Is it possible that DF Hack is the cause of the drain on my FPS?
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS is failing
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:37:58 pm »

Actually, DFHack is your greatest ally in the fight against slowness. Use the cleaning and confiscation options on DFhack to atomsmash useless items and contaminants.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:53:27 pm »

Actually I think my embark sight was just too big. i toned it down from 3x7 to 3x5 since 4x4 seems to be the standard. 16 tiles vs 15 tiles so hopefully that will help.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:52:49 pm »

If you've the know-how, it's not hard to mod clothes out of the game. Every new version I make it top priority.
Be sure to have locked doors behind empty mining shafts and unused caverns, as pathing lags you up the ass.
Don't mine more rock then you need, clutter lags you.
Don't make more rock crafts then you need for the next caravan.
Try reduce the amount of liquid flow in your game.
Unless you need it, turn off temp and weather.

E: I'm seeing a lot of these FPS threads. We need to just make a FPS-helping thread and sticky it.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:59:23 pm »

What type of computer do you have or at least the specs? You might have a bottleneck that's cheap to upgrade. Sometimes a cheap CPU change can be all it takes.

YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 12:13:11 am »

Try the Masterworks mod. It made changes to how items are categorized, as well as "get rid" of clothing. Anyways, there are a bunch of options to help tweak FPS.

Check it out! :D

EDIT: Oh, and it's a such a crazy mod. 1 Download, and it includes DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, other tools, or links to them. And the best part is a launcher, that you can select the options. Can't be easier than this.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:17:43 am by Vhorthex »
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:16:24 am »

Try the Masterworks mod. It made changes to how items are categorized, as well as "get rid" of clothing. Anyways, there are a bunch of options to help tweak FPS.

damn, beaten to the punch for promoting Masterwork in an fps complaint thread, ill get you next time!

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 12:19:09 am »

damn, beaten to the punch for promoting Masterwork in an fps complaint thread, ill get you next time!

Haha!

I know that the devs said they'd tweaked performance. So can't say how much it's the mod or that. But man... 120 dwarfs on a 4 X 4 embark, with pandemonium attack, panic enduced dwarf suicidal brawls. 120fps solid. :O

Genesis was my first love... <3
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 12:27:53 am »

Meh, i used to play genesis mod, but then i took an fps death to the Dwarf Fortress.
(what? i went there.)

but yeah, genesis is all add no remove, meaning it makes your computer cry.

at TerraToch anything bigger than a 4x4 will cause lag, and 3x3s are optimal for fps vs map size, up to you.

also, quad/dual cored processors are sometimes worse for running DF than an equivalent speed single core, as DF can only use one core at a time.