Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soldiers killing friendlies?  (Read 1307 times)

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
Soldiers killing friendlies?
« on: December 28, 2012, 03:00:45 am »

I was playing MWDF and started to get bored of one of my forts, so I ordered a single militia captain (with dfhack's superdwarf on) to slaughter everything on the screen using (s, A, k, r)...

He killed everything. As in, every single citizen quickly fell to his masterwork adamantine blade.

So, is designating citizens to be killed supposed to be possible? That was insanely Fun.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers killing friendlies?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 03:36:44 am »

It's possible that there was a dwarven trader in the area, therefore triggering a loyalty cascade where he simultaneously was a member of your civilization and not a member, resulting in him killing everything in sight.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 04:01:02 am »

Is there any indicator if this has happened? I've heard of loyalty cascades, but never actually seen one myself :P
I tried ordering attacks, and the soldier only attacked friendlies if there were enemies within the rectangle...

Gave up in the end and just dumped magma on everything, Boatmurdered style.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 01:05:01 pm »

...You had them attack EVERYTHING?

Yeah, probably some dwarven traders.
Here's how loyalty cascades work:

0. You have a fortress of, oh, 20 dwarves, 1-20. They are all members of the civilization (let's designate them C) and of your fortress (F). Let's throw in a merchant caravan, three dwarves (@,#,$), who are C but not F. When something attacks something else, it becomes an enemy of the target's groups; e.g. if Q attacks F (who goes to the hospital), Q becomes an enemy of the civ and the fortress. Let's designate such an entity as cf.
1. You order your militiadwarves--let's say H, E, and L--to attack everything. L attacks a member of the caravan. L is now an enemy of the civilization, but not an enemy of the fortress. Therefore, L is cF.
2. H and E notice L. L is, as an enemy of the civilization, their enemy. They attack L, killing him because L forgot to bring his helm and axe. This is another important part--E and H attacked a member of your fortress, making them enemies of the fortress, but as L revoked his citizenship when he became an enemy, they are not enemies of the civilization. E and H are Cf.
3. E and H wander into the alcohol stockpile. They see a bunch of enemies--e.g, other members of the fortress. A, M, T, J, and K counterstrike and become cF. Basically, everyone becomes either an enemy of the civilization, an enemy of the fortress, or a corpse. One of the two "factions" will eventually kill the other if they don't get separated or killed by some other means first.
4. Once you're down to one group of dwarves, all enemies of the same group, you begin to rebuild. With luck, you avoid a tantrum spiral.
5. Migrants arrive, enemies of your current fortress residents.
6. Go to step 3 until all dwarves who are enemies of your civilization or fortress are dead.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 06:19:27 am »

Thanks! I checked out the wiki too, seems about right.
 Thanks for the help!