Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: elves and trees  (Read 1729 times)

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
elves and trees
« on: March 21, 2008, 09:47:00 pm »

the elves want me to only cut 100 trees per year. i dont really know how many trees i go through per year, but i have 110 dwarves, and a fairly low key metal smithing operation. What will happen if i do what they ask? what will happen if i dont? the wiki says they will ambush me, but how dangerous are they?
-Toast-_

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: elves and trees
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 09:56:00 pm »

It's basically like a noble's mandate.

If you do what they want, nothing special happens.

If you DON'T do what they want, punishment! In the form of 4-6 archers popping up out of nowhere. Will easily destroy any incoming caravans, can decimate a workforce if you have a lot of dwarves working outside the safety of the fort.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »

From what I've seen, they'll first ask me not to cut down more than 100, and if I agree to that, they'll then give me a lower, more specific number that I am permitted to cut down.

If you've agreed to their demands and wanna see how close you are to upsetting them, press [c], select the elven civilization, then press [Tab] until you see the "agreements" page. This should show you how many trees you're still allowed to cut down, how many they originally permitted you to cut down, and the year in which you made the agreement.

[Edit] Corrected wording.

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: Tayrin ]

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 10:07:00 pm »

dammit i dont want to deal with the ambushes. Maybe ill dig a channel around most of the forest.
-Toast-_

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:36:00 pm »

Hmm, I've never heard of elves demanding less tree chopping from you. Most odd.

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: Patarak ]

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Patarak:
<STRONG>Hmm, I've never heard of elves demanding less tree chopping from you. Most odd.

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: Patarak ]</STRONG>

Oops, I think I worded it wrong. I meant they then give me a lower, more specific number that I am permitted to cut down. My mistake. I'll correct my previous post now.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 10:44:00 pm »

[Accidental double post; removed. Please delete?]

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: Tayrin ]

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 11:48:00 pm »

wow...after a long delay, the dumb jerk came back and said: "butcher we can only part with 64 trees". yeah....right. i swear i will slaughter every last one of them. and then force them to eat xxnarrow carp leather thongxx
-Toast-_

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 12:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by toast:
<STRONG>wow...after a long delay, the dumb jerk came back and said: "butcher we can only part with 64 trees". yeah....right. i swear i will slaughter every last one of them. and then force them to eat xxnarrow carp leather thongxx</STRONG>
That's the spirit! You're turning into a real dwarf now! Make those tree-huggers pay!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 12:31:00 am »

Trap them in... wooden cages. *Evil laughter as he raises his wooden mug.*

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 10:00:00 pm »

I got the warning from the elven diplomat and continued deforesting like crazy.  Nothing happened.  Elven caravans kept coming as usual.  I also murder as many human and elf merchants as possible each year, and never get sieged by them.  I don't think other civilizations turn hostile in this version.