Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large yet doable embark size  (Read 477 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Large yet doable embark size
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:26:33 am »

Hi,

I intent in embarking in a large area, and set there several semi independent Dwarves outposts... I have a rather decent computer, but I suspect DF is single threaded right, so this limit the interest in having 4 cores?
So, is a 12x12 area size too big for some epic play, or not? At start and the first years, it runs pretty fast at least... What is your experience here?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Large yet doable embark size
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:35:11 am »

Not running a 12x12 as a large site but a 5x5, but my experience is that things slow down considerably once the caverns are revealed. I'm also getting occasional grinds down to about two thirds of the normal framerate, and while I haven't pinned down the exact reason I think it has to do with a lot of flying units being on the map.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Large yet doable embark size
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:55:51 am »

...Things slow down considerably once the caverns are revealed.
This. And temperature checks,flow checks and kittens can explode your house.
And 12x12 is WAAAAAAAy to large, it'll a burrow nightmare to make this outposts you are talking about.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.