Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: migrant !!SCIENCE!!??  (Read 1222 times)

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
migrant !!SCIENCE!!??
« on: March 08, 2012, 11:13:45 am »

And, no, I don't mean USING them for zombie, husk, or magma science.

I'm talking about understanding variation in migrants.

I've noticed a few patterns and wonder if anyone can corroborate.

First embark in VD.04, I was getting migrants that were either fishers or farmers. Usually they would be novice in three skills.

The embark, in a different world about the same age (~175), and so far EVERY MIGRANT in two large waves has had competent military skills. It's completely awesome. I'm also getting much higher numbers of rangers and fewer fisherdwarves (yes!).

I've seen other people complaining about migrants a) not having military skills and b) not have social skills at all. I've also heard about short histories generating highly military dwarves due to the hardships they've all faced.

My point is that these factors seem to vary quite a bit from embark to embark. Doing science on this will be a bit of an undertaking, since it will require running forts for reasonable periods, at least until you get a couple of migrant waves. So, I'd love to hear whether people are seeing similar patterns, and whether they have evidence that it has to do with the civilization source, the age of the world, the distance from the home, civ, etc.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: migrant !!SCIENCE!!??
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 11:51:54 am »

Many Military and Social dorfs, most have either fishing or all animal labors on a decent level, many Wax workers and Weavers
Dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.
This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: migrant !!SCIENCE!!??
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:43:15 pm »

I think legends mode has the best explanations for this, more historical figures = more skill tracking.

+ more wars / hunting

=

More historical warriors/hunters

And of course fisherdwarfs are a constant in DF.

I pity the migrant wave without a fish cleaner