Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question concerning water, walls, and dampness.  (Read 2539 times)

FlexibleDogma

• Bay Watcher
  • xGiant Cave Spider Silk Sockx Merchant
    • View Profile
Re: Question concerning water, walls, and dampness.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

Can fish pass through grates?  Since I dig a tunnel between my moat to be and right up NEXT to the water source, I always end up putting a grate up at the edge of where the moat meets the tunnel.  This has a nice side effect of preventing my dwarves from running way down the tunnel to pick up a rock while it's filling.  Of course, I'm not 100% sure a grate actually blocks a fish, the wiki is somewhat unclear.

To connect the tunnel to the water source, I just dig a channel between the two one z level up, which has worked out for me well so far.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Question concerning water, walls, and dampness.
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

From what I know, except for a few weird bugs, wall grates will block all creatures from passing through them. However, evolution in Dwarf Fortress occurs very fast, and carp can probably evolve from the floating plankton and whatnot in a short amount of time as a couple years.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2]