Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Walking the plank  (Read 500 times)

yvgar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Walking the plank
« on: March 06, 2012, 09:44:16 pm »

Will dumping a prisoner ~10 Z-levels into the ocean kill it, or does the water cushion the blow somehow?

Leonance

• Bay Watcher
  • Moltar shows us how dwarves solve all problems.
    • View Profile
Re: Walking the plank
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 09:50:48 pm »

I think landing in water cancels out a Z-level of the fall equal to how deep the water is.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:01:40 pm »

Falling through water does partially cancel out falling through air, but the exact ratio has not been established.  However, whatever you drop will probably drown, unless it can swim fairly well.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:07:50 pm »

I've tried this, and all unlawful combatants broke some bones from ~6 zs. Stunning and giving into the pain lead to drowning, if a rib through the heart or a crushed skull don't get them first.

A few resist the pain, make it to darkened cavern shore on broken limbs, and then limp for the map edge just like they do on the surface. The cavern wildlife doesn't always let them through. All in all, a satisfying, random and cruel method of execution, although it is not very efficient. I picture my dwarves placing bets on who gets through.

AFAIK, one level of water subtracts one level of falling. More testing is needed.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.