Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taming Unicorns  (Read 1686 times)

Block_Stacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taming Unicorns
« on: March 21, 2008, 05:49:00 am »

So I've caught several unicorns, but when I select "tame large animal" from the Kennel menu they don't show up.  I've successfully trained Elephants, bonobos, orangutans, ect., but no Unicorns.  I have the Dungeon Master, and the Unicorns didn't kill anyone.  What gives?  Are unicorns untameable?  Also, how are elephants at home defense?  Mine haven't had a chance to see any action yet.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taming Unicorns
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 06:37:00 am »

Hmmm, the wiki doesn't list the PET tag for the unicorn, so maybe, it can't be tamed?
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Ma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 07:38:00 am »

That is it, zagibu. Whenever in doubt, check the Game object data of a creature in the wiki.

If you can find the PET tag, any animal trainer can tame it ; if you find the EXOTIC_PET tag, only the Dungeon Master can tame it ; if you find none of the former, nobody can tame it.

As to the power of guard elephants, you will have to wait some more for somebody experienced in it to answer.

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: Maître Smaug Capello ]

Block_Stacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 08:41:00 am »

Thanks for the answers guys.  I feel the Wiki is currently a little misleading on this point.  Regarding the [butcherable_nonstandard] tag, it states that Unicorns can't be butchered for meat until they are captured and tamed, which implied to me that they COULD be tamed.  I may edit this if I ever get around to registering at the wiki.  

There go my dreams of an unstoppable army of deadly My Little Ponies.  Oh well, at least I learned a little about how the creature tags work.

I guess I could dig a pit and see how a goblins vs. unicorns vs. swarms-of-bonobo-children deathmatch would turn out.  :eek:

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 08:57:00 am »

you can still use them as an unstopabe army of MLPs.  they just wont be tame.  stick them in cages and rig them to levers, and make sure dwarfs are not nearby when you cut them loose.

elephants, while tameable, make a dangerous defense.  even tame elephants can still act hostiley if they have attacked or been attacked prior to being tamed.  this can lead to many dead dwarfs.  and even if not hostile, they will still tend to follow their herd leader.  so either you capture a whole herd, or dont bother.

at least this were the problems in old versions.  I havent tried elephants since the game went 3d.

Block_Stacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:07:00 am »

I've had no problems with the elephants so far, except that they breed like cats.  I'm currently butchering-down an elephasplosion.  They're also the only captured animal so far that the dwarves have taken as personal pets.  My stone mason has three of them.  That was all I allowed as pets because I didn't want him adopting the whole herd.  Right now I have all the stray adults locked up in a pressure-trap triggered cage with the war dogs.  I can't wait for the next seige to see how they fare in combat.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »

ANY tame animal, not just elephants, will attack your dwarves if it has killed a dwarf before it was tamed.

On the other hand, if the animal has NOT killed a dwarf before it was tamed, it will NOT attack you, though Dragons and other firebreathers still present the risk of accidentally setting your fortress on fire (I think).

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: Untelligent ]

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

I've caught and tamed two warthogs. Soon I shall have a formidable force of attack pigs and bacon.