Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I make use off this brook?  (Read 1439 times)

LarryHerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can I make use off this brook?
« on: March 21, 2008, 02:21:00 am »

The brook in question; http://g.photos.cx/brook-6e.png

I'm trying to tap that water to make a well and create a general water supply but I'm at lost seeing as it's quite distant from my fortress.

LarryHerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I make use off this brook?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 02:55:00 am »

By the way, that picture is from my second level, here's the first level of my fortress if this'll help; http://g.photos.cx/toplevel-b9.png

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 07:24:00 am »

I see dead dwarves!
Just dig into the black space shown on the upper level, make sure you are over the reservoir, and use (d)esignate c(h)annel on one tile. Then build a well on that tile (needs rock blocks, chain/rope and a bucket). You can also channel another tile in the room, then build a waterwheel on top of it. This can then be used to connect a millstone, or a water pump. Place a gear assembly next to the channel, then build a waterwheel connected to the gear assembly over the channel. You can then connect the gear assembly via axles to the millstone/pump.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 08:43:00 am »

What is the problem here?

It's not so far, you have already dug a channel.
Maybe dig a sewer reservoir/system a level (or more) below the one of the river level as that is the same as your main settlement.

channel a shaft directly down through all Z-layers from your well-head.
You don't need water before constructing the well...for a waterwheel I think you do need running water.

Make sure you wall off / forbidden-door any maintenance connections to your fortress on the flooded sewer levels.
Also installing a floodgate at a bottleneck before flooding the system is highly advised to prevent the entire fort from flooding in case of a construction error or simmilar.

Also a wall-grate in the inlet channel prevents dangerous guppies etal from getting in via that route. probably a fortification would do the trick as well, although there are rumours of water creatures bypassing these.

--
I'm just finishing the final touches to my deep well, it goes down almost to the bottom-level and has a staircase running around the central shaft, fed from a stream on the wrong side of a volcano on a 7or 8wide map.
(Unfortunately I misused ramps to 'connect' the several layers before channelling out the UP/DOWN staircase running along the well axis.

code:

XXXXX
X...X
X.x.X
Xr_rX
XXXXX

r=ramp up or down, _ floor, .=openspace, x =stairs.
and round at 90deg rotation per Z-level. Obviously, in hindsight, when you remove the stairs, the ramps dunt work as they are constructed against the outside wall. Now replacing the ramps with stairs, but slow progress without the stairs for access.

have fun.
Losing a fort to drowning is a learning experience, don't get too attached to your first dorfs, you can always restart or reclaim with a fresh batch.
(taking a highly skilled mechanic to start drainage efforts right away.  ;) )

ps when working on a cliffy map with thirsty dwarfs and a river on the wrong side of the map, DONT dig from two sides at once when creating your mains. Your thirsty dorfs will use the access ladders to the waterside digs for fieldtrips. This takes up alot of dwarftime. And they naturally confound the matter by following the streambed from the bottom to the most northers upstream spot to drink. tripling their traveltime. >sigh<
Good brewers prevented my for from death by hikers.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

LarryHerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 01:03:00 am »

Yeah, I didn't notice those dead dwarves until now. I guess they've been there for awhile.  :(

But any ways, thanks for the tips zagibu and Areyar! I'll start the process here, soon and maybe I'll post the inevitably disastrous results.  :D

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 01:10:00 am »

Also Note:

Dig channels from your main water channel there going north to the nearby ponds.

That way they won't evaporate and you'll have more places to fish.

*They may not necessarily evaporate, YMMV.

Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo