Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to create rooms  (Read 1449 times)

newtkeeper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to create rooms
« on: May 18, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »

First of all, forgive my ignorance here. I'm sure this is documented, but a search turned up nothing.

When trying to place a bed, table, etc., I learn that it 'Must be Inside'. What exactly does this mean? I tried enclosing an area with walls, but still received the message. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Silu

• Bay Watcher
  • The Perfectionist
    • View Profile
Re: How to create rooms
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

You need a roof over the said furniture. You can see if the area is "inside"/"subterranean" with 'k' and moving the cursor to the sector you want to see.
I'm the lunatic of God's creation.

Goblin Dragoon 085

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »

Inside means no direct z connection to the highest z level.

Or: If it has a ROOF it is considered inside.

So to make an inside room, that is not subterran, you need to build the walls on z=345 and then floors on z=346.

newtkeeper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »

Ah many thanks.

Now, how do I add a roof? Do I just place floor on the level above, or is there something more complex?

---
Edit: Nevermind. I think I posted just before I was answered. Does that make Goblin Dragoon a time traveler? Or does just it make me unobservant?

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: newtkeeper ]

Silu

• Bay Watcher
  • The Perfectionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »

Floor or a wall is enough. I don't know if forticifations work, I think they might.

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Silu ]

I'm the lunatic of God's creation.

newtkeeper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »

Well, sorry to keep bothering, but the saga continues. I can place floor on the ground okay, but, when I attempt to place it up one level (and adjacent to a wall) I get a "no access to building material non-economic item". What building material do I need?

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »

you will need some way for a dwarf to get to where you want the floor built, construct a temporary staircase along the side of the wall you just built
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

weirdbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 02:34:00 pm »

I feel I should point out you could save yourself a lot of effort by digging into existing ground.
engel Bestraratheg, Mayor: Life is, in a word, pregnancy.

Baney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.efrgames.com
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

Building Above ground is alot harder.. but.. I personally find it much more rewarding to see my grand 7 floor towers rise up either side of my fortress entrance, complete with X-Bow guards standing on each balcony ready to repel invaders.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Baney:
<STRONG>Building Above ground is alot harder.. but.. I personally find it much more rewarding to see my grand 7 floor towers rise up either side of my fortress entrance, complete with X-Bow guards standing on each balcony ready to repel invaders.</STRONG>

So you dig out around your fortress  :)  Enemies won't attack rock and if you mine out around your base, they won't attack your walls.  It may be cheating, but you also get the benefit of having the best arc of attack from your archers if you dig out ramps so the enemies come down to the bottom to enter your base (or try.)

Of course, your left with a situation that looks like you built your fort in the middle of a crater... but that could be part of your history.  ;)

"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."