Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wagons and Depot Access  (Read 498 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Wagons and Depot Access
« on: March 05, 2012, 09:49:33 am »

I recently edited the df2012 wiki on wagons stating that downward stairways with hatch covers DO NOT allow access.  I had a fort with a 3x3 staircase with hatch covers that was only a downward staircase on top z level, and upward on the z level below.  The depot had access all the way to the stairs, but nowhere above the hatch covers, or even the hatch covers had access.  Am I doing something wrong?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Wagons and Depot Access
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 10:29:42 am »

Just to be clear, your wagon path is going across the hatch covers (rather than through them), right?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:23:40 am »

I'm not sure what you mean by through them.  But the Depot was a z level below the downward stairs/hatchs

example:

top z level
x=hatch/downward stairs

xxx
xxx
xxx

1 z level lower
> = upward stairs
+ = wall

= = Depot access

++++++++++++
>>>
>>> =========
>>>
++++++++++++

Hope that helps (forgive my ascii blunders).

Update: Since the outside of my fortress is walled in, it's not a big deal to open a wall, but I thought stairs could be used if they had hatches, and hatches have the benefit of being lockable if I need them to be.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:51:29 am »

That's your problem - wagons cannot go up or down stairs under any circumstances. Floor hatches only allow them to move across down-stairs (and only while they're closed) because it provides them with a flat surface.

[edit] Also, I don't see any record of you having edited the wagon article on the wiki - it still clearly states that floor hatches make down-stairs passable (though I've just edited it to clarify that they merely allow wagons to move across them, not down them).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:55:42 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:36:21 pm »

I thought I edited it (I still have it open on my desktop at home.  I clicked saved, and show changes).  Okay, thanks for the clarification on hatches, hopefully that will help clarify confusion with anyone else.