Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crash on Embark  (Read 1001 times)

RogueSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crash on Embark
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:25:06 am »

Using the current version of the Lazy Newb pack, without any graphics packs my game is consistently crashing on embark. I've not messed with many of the settings (Exotic Animals off, Aquifers off, Liquid Depth On, Sound off, title video off, seasonal save on) and it runs without problems in legends and adventurer mode. Any one have any ideas? I haven't posted this on the bug tracker because I'm fairly sure this is something I've done wrong somehow ><
This occurs regardless of what parameters I set for embark. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know how to fix it?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Crash on Embark
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:55:19 am »

When exactly does it crash?

RogueSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:19:49 am »

Immediately apon embark, while leaving the 'prepare carefully' screen, before any objects are generated or the screen even changes. As soon as embark is selected from there, the program becomes unresponsive and windows declares it dead roughly 30s later.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:46:07 am »

It could be because of cave-ins, though i thought that was fixed.... What version are you using?
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

RogueSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:23:53 am »

The latest version of the LNP, 34.02. It's not even entering the map I don't believe, so far as I can tell as soon as it tries to leave the preparation screen it hardcrashes. Adventurer and legends mode work without errors.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:41:45 am »

Did you try embarking elsewhere?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:43:36 am »

Some whole worlds seem to be rigged to crash.  No idea what causes it, since no one can get into the world to view it!  Try a new world.

Failing that, try without LNP.

RogueSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:11:26 pm »

I've tried 6 random worlds so far, I guess I could try without the LNP, but I have no idea how to play without graphics or DT - or how to install them without the LNP ><
Yep, I am what they aimed that pack at...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 06:24:14 pm »

Well... first of all, learn DF in ASCII even if you don't like it.  There's times (like this) where the luxury of graphic packs won't be immediately available.  You can use graphics all the time, just know how to use ASCII as a fallback.

Therapist is legit though, I can't say anything against the need.

Hit the modding forums.  Download a graphic set, each is a pre-installed version of DF that you simply unzip and run.  Download Therapist, same deal, just unzip and run.

Gerottomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 06:26:38 pm »

I had this problem too, no matter where I went, when I hit embark (on the item selection screen) it crashed.

Also these worlds are prone to ENORMOUS LAG in adventure mode you can play, but the adventurer will move I'd say once every 10 seconds

Just make a new world, that's what I did

RogueSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 08:36:21 pm »

I've made around 12 worlds now and am still having this issue :/ Did you change anything?
I should learn the ascii, but I've only run 2 forts so far, the first lasting 6 years and the second barely lasting 2. I'll learn the ascii once I learn the game!
Cheers for the info on the graphics, how would I get DT working though?

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 08:39:34 pm »

Also, are you selecting any of the embark presets? I tried them when I first started playing, they're all missing something my local civ can't provide, but it still puts it on the list, so when I try to embark, it crashed. If I just hit embark, or prepare carefully and do it myself, it's fine.

This sounds just like what was happening to me when I tried using the premade embark sets.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

RogueSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 04:20:39 pm »

I guess I haven't checked that, but given that it's every single world I've generated I find that unlikely. I'll try a 'prepare carefully' just in case.

EDIT: This worked without problems. I wonder if some of the items I was attempting to use don't exist in the game anymore? It seems unlikely that I wouldn't be able to get an item despite generating over two dozen worlds in total otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:24:01 pm by RogueSpear »

Prats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 04:41:32 pm »

That's problem with .ogg codecs.Try to set your sound 0/255. And turn sound OFF.

RogueSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 05:23:55 pm »

I have sound off. Might be the size of my deployment zone, but I don't think so...