Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me find some FUN  (Read 719 times)

xavious

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Help me find some FUN
« on: March 03, 2012, 03:09:59 pm »

So, my latest fort Intenseattic is so far shaping up to be one of the most peaceful forts I've ever ran. The location was a section of untamed wilds next to an evil forest. The fort was founded in Year 5 (I was wanting to go with a beginning of the world type game and go from there), died of dehydration in Year 5, reclaimed in Year 6, and continued onward from there with relatively few problems. It is currently the 20th of Timber, 22, and for the most part everyone is happy. The nobles originally demanded only gauntlets and spears which I constantly melted down to bars and reforged. The King has since arrived and he only requests I make bolts which I gladly do as I have more wood coming out the wazoo after chopping down every tree on the map. The workshop floor, most living quarters, the dining hall, and the catacombs were all engraved by legendary engravers so everyone is having a good time admiring everything.

The problem is that after the 16 years of running this fort I have not encountered any goblins and it seems the elves refuse to go to war. The most consistent threat to my Dwarves at the moment are the flying humanoids (barn owl men/women and others) that occasionally startle the workers building a platform at the second to highest z-level and they fall. There have been several megabeasts, forgotten beasts, and two titans that have wandered onto the map but they posed no problem. The Elven caravans made great training dummies for what is shaping up to be the spec-ops of my Dwarven military. Said squad consists of 6 axe dwarves, 2 sword masters, 1 hammer lord, and is led by a mace lord wielding an artifact steel mace. The only real source of FUN I've had so far was an experiment testing the viability of trapping all the dogs, war dogs, cats, and pets inside the cavern layer to handle the forgotten beasts that show up.

In short, any suggestions on how to introduce more FUN into this fort? I plan to continue running this fort regardless of how long it takes some real FUN to show up. I'm mainly just wondering what I'm doing wrong when it comes to angering the elves but any ideas on when the goblins will start appearing is welcome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Help me find some FUN
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 03:12:12 pm »

1. Dig deeper

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 03:16:37 pm »

1. Dig deeper
This
Also, you can piss off the humans too, and they will siege you, just like elves exept less terrible.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:23:46 pm »

I thought the same of my fort. Just wait until you get your first Titan composed of flames. Do not turn off temperature.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

xavious

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 03:42:36 pm »

I forgot to mention that I haven't encountered humans yet either. The only civs I have encountered are Dwarf (obviously), Elf, and Kobold. I looked at the legends screen and there are multiple goblin towers and human cities but none have made contact yet. No idea why. As for digging deeper, I've dug to the magma sea and I'm currently searching for any trace of adamantine. So far all I've got for my trouble are a couple of shafts going straight to semi-molten rock and nothing else.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 03:46:13 pm »

Dig into the adamantine pillar. You will get your fun.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 03:51:52 pm »

Before you embark in the future, press tab a few times.  You'll see several screens, including a list of the local civilizations.  Just because every race exists within the world, that does not mean that every race can reach every location of that world; small islands are notorious for usually having only dwarves (because the game more or less gaurentees dwarven access) and many of the continents of your world might have only a few of the worlds races upon each.

Even when you are certain there ARE races with access to your embark area, sometimes they are extremely distant from your site.  This can greatly delay when they finally reach your fortress, sometimes surprisingly so - An ongoing game I am playing has a healthy  population of a race that was noted as a local race before I embarked - yet has still not made an appearance, which really surprises me because it was modded to be active 3 seasons of the four and usually brings 3 caravans a year - except this time.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

xavious

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 04:40:07 pm »

Before you embark in the future, press tab a few times.  You'll see several screens, including a list of the local civilizations.  Just because every race exists within the world, that does not mean that every race can reach every location of that world; small islands are notorious for usually having only dwarves (because the game more or less gaurentees dwarven access) and many of the continents of your world might have only a few of the worlds races upon each.

Even when you are certain there ARE races with access to your embark area, sometimes they are extremely distant from your site.  This can greatly delay when they finally reach your fortress, sometimes surprisingly so - An ongoing game I am playing has a healthy  population of a race that was noted as a local race before I embarked - yet has still not made an appearance, which really surprises me because it was modded to be active 3 seasons of the four and usually brings 3 caravans a year - except this time.

I took a closer look at the legends screen and you're right. My fort is in a jungle in a valley and I'm apparently boxed in there with with two different Elf civs and the one Kobold civ. I thought there was an exit to the valley somewhere since I do get Dwarven caravans from the other side of the map but apparently not.

Edit: I just had a thought. Is it possible to dig a tunnel through the mountains? Have a series of forts with the express purpose of digging a massive tunnel large enough for other races to use it to get inside the valley?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:52:25 pm by xavious »