Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oh god, the children...  (Read 2558 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh god, the children...
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 08:55:26 pm »

Not been getting really any kids on my 1050 year embark, maybe longer is better.

I am getting 6 births a month right now, however... Rapidly getting annoying. I think EVERY SINGLE FEMALE is prego...

Except my axedwarf in training; She's been upset about a miscarriage lately O_O
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 09:02:39 pm »

How many immigrants are NOT married couples? At least with baby production you can tweak the init settings to minimise them.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 09:05:16 pm »

Less children? Well i hope so, getting several births every in-game week was rather frustrating. Maybe i should consider getting this new .04 thing for that reason. .02 has given my fort WAY too many children with both migration and birth, so next fort shall have a rather strict child cap. Else i'll just have to make them brawl kobolds somehow.

Child cap won't prevent them from migrating. I have a hardcap of 10 children or 10% of the total population, and one of my recent fortresses had 41/67 children.

What you can do is reduce the age at which they grow up to 8ish (if you're reasonable and want to RP) or 2 (If you're a munchkin).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 09:12:35 pm »

Less children? Well i hope so, getting several births every in-game week was rather frustrating. Maybe i should consider getting this new .04 thing for that reason. .02 has given my fort WAY too many children with both migration and birth, so next fort shall have a rather strict child cap. Else i'll just have to make them brawl kobolds somehow.

Child cap won't prevent them from migrating. I have a hardcap of 10 children or 10% of the total population, and one of my recent fortresses had 41/67 children.

What you can do is reduce the age at which they grow up to 8ish (if you're reasonable and want to RP) or 2 (If you're a munchkin).
Just make sure to ALSO have a low child cap if you make them adults at age 2. Because those 2+ year olds will be just as elligible to kick out babies as normal aged adults.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 09:23:29 pm »

Boy, that sounds like a terrible fortress... Full of puppies, babies, and kittens. *Shudders*

Magmaaaaaa.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 09:36:47 pm »

I keep seeing all these posts about children invading and vampires. Did I avoid it by having a short history? Had one vampire after several waves. I get *maybe* three children per five or so waves. The adults come with pretty great social skills, competent in one weapon (if not two sometimes), and proficient in at least three skills (though damned if it isn't the fishing). Not a lot of family trees though, but the siblings that show up are usually adults too. One expection is the ones with weapon skills usually are married to each other, which caused some !!!FUN!!! later on, leading to almost an entire demise of a family tree from the fall out.
Pages: 1 [2]