Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too-abundant ambushes?  (Read 396 times)

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Too-abundant ambushes?
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:02:30 pm »

I've played for a long time, but I've never seen anything like this. It's one ambush after another after another (yes, ik that each has multiple groups). Here's how it went, I was doing some stuff outside when an ambush came, I was able to sight all 4 squads easy, and I let my traps dispatch them. Then, no more than 1 minute later, a caravan came, and I thought, "Oh, I just had an ambush, no way this will get ambushed now." WRONG. Ambush, about 5 seconds after it entered the map. About 5-7 minutes later, another caravan, and I was sure this one wouldn't be killed. WRONG AGAIN. Another ambush! Also the whole time I was being swarmed with thieves and snatchers. This fort has a small population, and is not old nor does it have much wealth, so there is really no reason for so many ambushes, also, there have been no sieges as of yet, even though enough time has passed for 2 beasts to come by (one FB, the other a Minotaur). Has this occurred to anyone else? (for now, I'm turning invaders off for a while cause fun is not to be had when I can't be attacked for 2 minutes.)
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too-abundant ambushes?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 09:08:21 pm »

2 forts ago I was getting about 65 goblins per year in ambushes. Took a few sieges to even come close:P

I created a long winding path full of cage traps, capture, strip everything, and pit them into a water pit.

That was actually a fun task, it wasn't a water pit at first, but once I got close to 200 goblins down there, my FPS was waaaay down, lol...

Nothing like trying to get a dwarf to man a pump you build right before a fortification in a room with that many...or any for that matter... goblins.

20,000 a year in trade value stripped off the goblins in giant silk stuff ALONE. Never got around to seeing the value of the weapons and armor I had, I always gave caravans a few thousand trade value to take with em, make em really happy with me:-D

Taken down by a missed goblin lasher from an ambush... Thought it was all clear, got into my meeting hall, killed 3 dwarves before my 20 hunting dogs reached it..... EVERYONE tantrum spiraled.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?