Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you atomsmash ghosts?  (Read 854 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can you atomsmash ghosts?
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:57:09 am »

Can you atomsmash ghosts?  And I'm wondering how one might build a fortress where every passage has an atom smasher in it - well obviously you can but the question is triggering:  do ghosts trigger pressure plates differently than dwarves do?  Like, if ghosts don't trigger pressure plates at all, maybe you could make hallways where the atom smashing will happen on a timer if a pressure plate at the entrance of the hallway is not triggerred to prevent it.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can you atomsmash ghosts?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 01:58:13 am »

Far as I know, they don't trigger anything, and you can't destroy them.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 02:06:32 am »

No, ghosts don't trigger pressure plates.  Furthermore, they are immune to atom smashers, traps, squad kill commands, cave ins, ect.  It is prolly because they can walk though walls and so also walk though these things too.  They might die of old age, but other than that they only way to get rid of em is to engrave memorials or make coffins.  If already smashed the corpse of a merchant guard and it comes back as a ghost, then you are just screwed.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 02:08:25 am »

I had a ghostly were-gilla monster floating around where her body was crushed by ice when winter came:p

It never left that spot, was glad too. Ghostly vampires can still suck, ghostly necros still raise the dead... Wasn't looking forward to finding out if ghostly werebeasts can still bite:p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 03:11:39 am »

No
I have a ghost of a former farmer sitting right on the tile of the atomsmasher in my steelworks and I've tried it.
It goes right through him
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 06:39:17 am »

No
I have a ghost of a former farmer sitting right on the tile of the atomsmasher in my steelworks and I've tried it.
It goes right through him

I wonder how he died...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.