Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making fire  (Read 2272 times)

The Chemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making fire
« on: May 18, 2008, 12:33:00 am »

So I figure if you poor a bit of magma onto something it'll count as starting a fire.

But what if i don't have any magma? how could i start a fire?

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making fire
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 12:43:00 am »

Invite a dragon into your fortress. How else?

But seriously there are no fire causing things other than flame breathing monsters and magma (without modifying the raw file). The only thing fire is good for is burning down your fortress.

If by 'starting a fire' you mean smelting things then you need to build a wood furnace (Press b->e->w) to produce fuel(in the form of charcoal) or a smelter (press b->e->s) if you have coal or lignite. From there you need a dwarf with woodburning or furnace operator labor enabled. Check out the WIKI if you don't understand.

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: A_Fey_Dwarf ]

The Chemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 12:56:00 am »

no, i get how to smelt i was just thinking i wanted to lure an invading army into a corridor i had stocked with bear and lignite and then wanted to do something to them while they were there, a match would be handy.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 01:23:00 am »

That'd certainly be possible (and fun) but you'd still need either Magma or a Dragon to start the fire. You don't directly have to have a magma flow, though - lots of fire-based (and fire-spittin') nasties come with the discovery of magma, and so you could tame those to ignite fires for you (well... tame them, put them in the room, and hope they start fires)

Of course, things burn for quite a while in DF. A room full of goblins could burn for years, and you'd have the trouble of your Dwarves picking up their !!items!! and thus spreading the fire to other corners of your Fort unless you forbid them quickly.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 04:24:00 am »

Problem is, you can't actually tame fire critters.

Tenebrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 06:14:00 am »

Somewhat related, but I had a volcano with a lignite vein adjacent to it... I channeled out the lignite and exposed it to the magma and sure enough it burned. Forever. I can't confirm "Forever", but it certainly seemed that way - probably because I don't think stones can "wear", preventing them from decaying in flame like most flammable items.

The lag caused by the (otherwise cool) wall of smoke had me abandon that fortress. Oh well. Time to bring in my adventurer and pick up the full set of adamantine armor and weapons...

If you can, for example, place a lignite rock on a retracting bridge above your target area, and ignite it with a small amount of magma, you should have a burning stone you can drop whenever you like. Of course, if you have magma, this is a moot point.

... I suddenly want to make a fireproof dwarf and launch a burning stone with a catapult. I wonder if that would work?   :D

Enter TO CREATE THE WORLD.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 06:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Problem is, you can't actually tame fire critters.</STRONG>

Blast.

Capture them and rig their cages to pressure plates in the Ignition Chamber? Or a level hooked up to said cages that also seals the doors behind the invaders. Build some chimneys to vent the smoke away to some useless Z-level so you can actually watch the !!goblins!! run around.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 09:13:00 am »

Well, you could edit a creature you have one of and place 'em in the(is it booze or bear?) pit. I wonder if vermin can breathe fire...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 10:40:00 am »

I heard somewhere that dragons are tameable. chain them in the room if you want a fire.

Edit: they are since they have the [PET_EXOTIC] tag. check thw wiki.

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: chaoticag ]

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

On the topic of coal fires, Wikipedia has something to say on the matter (surprised?) it can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mine_fire

A quick quote from the wiki article: "It is estimated that Australia's Burning Mountain, the oldest known coal fire, has burned for 6,000 years."

So reclaim the site in a few thousand years and see if it's out yet  :p

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »

Doing a bit of modding would produce satisfying results. To the best of my knowledge, you just have to tack the [PET-TAMEABLE] (or something, I haven't tried this my self) tag onto the fire imp, and then you can tame & chain it.
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 06:18:00 pm »

dont know for sure without checking, but i think the tags are [pet] and [trainable], as seperate tags. i added them to a few creatures and it worked. actually the [trainable] might be supposed to be [tamable] but one of the two should work. otherwise, simple as that. just be careful transporting them.
-Toast-_

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »

[TRAINABLE] means it can be trained for war or hunting at a kennel. [PET] is the tag for taming. Just add it to fire imps and taming one should be no problem, provided you can lure one out of the lava. Wooden cages will work fine since they are indestructible even from fire.

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Poil ]

[DEMONLORD]

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 09:44:00 pm »

There was a post somewhere about a dragon-based artillery system.  You surround a fire-breathing/fire-balling monster with walls and use a fortification in the direction you want it to fire.  You put a floodgate in front of the fortification, and rig it to a lever.  When something goes into the boom-room, you hit the lever, the fire monster sees an enemy, and fires....all that's left is...

2. ????
3. Profit!!