Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: high resolution slow down?  (Read 6698 times)

darkshaed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
high resolution slow down?
« on: March 20, 2008, 10:58:00 am »

Does playing DF on higher resolutions take more processing power?

I'm playing it in a window that is 1920x1100 right now, I do it because I like to stay in window form so i can surf the web on my other monitor. Is DF going to run slower because its resolution is much higher than the default?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: high resolution slow down?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 11:21:00 am »

The slowdown in DF comes entirely from all the processing it has to do for the simulation - dwarfish personalities, pathfinding, job sorting, fluid simulations, and so on. The actual rendering of the image is practically an afterthought after all that.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

Yeah, if you have hardware acceleration, you shouldn't worry about DF's graphics. Otherwise, though...
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 04:11:00 pm »

Hardware acceleration is utterly irrelevant for DF's graphics, as they're software-rendered.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

If your system doesn't support hardware rendering, then you will probably see a slight slow down. I have a question, does your performance improve at a lower resolution?

Also, is the filtering method in the init options set to nearest?

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 07:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>Hardware acceleration is utterly irrelevant for DF's graphics, as they're software-rendered.</STRONG>

Hmmm, am I misunderstanding something, or is DF using OpenGL? If it is, which I believe is correct, then it is hardware accelerated, provided you use a graphics card with proper OpenGL driver. If you don't have such a graphics card, the cpu will have to do the rendering.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 07:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by darkshaed:
<STRONG>Does playing DF on higher resolutions take more processing power?

I'm playing it in a window that is 1920x1100 right now, I do it because I like to stay in window form so i can surf the web on my other monitor. Is DF going to run slower because its resolution is much higher than the default?</STRONG>

Umm when your playing DF you should not be browsing the web... Thats going to cause significate slow downs right there. Run DF in Fullscreen and don't do nothing else while running it.

If you want to browse the web, save and shut down DF first.

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »

pff.  I always multitask.  It'll run slower, but I'm less bored while waiting for things to happen!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>pff.  I always multitask.  It'll run slower, but I'm less bored while waiting for things to happen!</STRONG>

qft   :D

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 11:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>pff.  I always multitask.  It'll run slower, but I'm less bored while waiting for things to happen!</STRONG>

Thats why you should have 2 computers next to each other and a tv....

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 10:02:00 am »

DF doesn't use multiple threads, so on a multicore machine there should be effectively no slowdown unless you start hitting swap. And even on a single core machine, web browsing is unlikely to cause significant slowdown unless the browser you're using is a massive CPU hog.

As far as the display goes, if you don't have actual hardware openGL support and instead have a driver that fakes it in software (eg Mesa), you might get resolution-dependent slowdown - but on any video card with working OGL support (which these days should be pretty much all of them) performance will be unaffected by resolution. It's just doing simple 2d blits from video memory to screen.

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

quote:
And even on a single core machine, web browsing is unlikely to cause significant slowdown unless the browser you're using is a massive CPU hog.

Utter nonsense.  DF can peg a processor all by itself once population has gotten pretty large.  It doesn't matter what browser you're using, it will be a problem.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »

ToxicFrog's point was that the browser doesn't use a significant portion of your computer's CPU (when it isn't loading pages, anyway), which means that it won't intrude significantly on your Dwarf Fortress experience.

Personally, I'd trade a half-dozen FPS for the ability to browse webpages while I wait for things to happen.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 11:09:00 pm »

yeah if you think the browser is taking up cpu time, then why don't you open up the task manager and measure it?

Computer has been up for over a week.

idle time: 323:19:10
firefox: 1:20:22
This evening's dwarf fortress: 36:22 so far.

So my web viewing for a week has taken an hour and twenty minutes of cpu time.  DF so far tonight has been 36 minutes.  I think DF is the greater processor hog, as I have probably spent more than an hour and 20 minutes reading the forums this week.

igless