Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Gym  (Read 579 times)

Zombiearcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Gym
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:41:39 am »

I finally decided to try and setup a gym so that my military will stop getting knocked over by strong winds.

I'm curious as to what results should I expect? Its been almost a year and I have had several doing nothing but pump yet some are still considered fat or very flimsy in the view creature description. :( Some of them are listed now as very durable and indefatigable however.

Maybe I should just stop at the point they become legendary pump operators??

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Gym
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 02:22:16 am »

I don't think that you are shown the strength of the dwarf until it reaches its peak in that particular area.

When they are as strong as they can be it will say something like "Incredible strong" or something.

I think.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:58:11 am »

The stuff it says in the creature description is irrelevant. Well, it's not, but you can't change it.

"very strong, durable, indefatigable" etc is the stuff that describes attributes. You can see what range they're in at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Attributes

Gyms are of dubious value imo, you train attributes extremely quickly by sparring, and of course you get military skills..

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 08:10:03 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The key physical ones are basically unbreakable, unbelievably strong, indefatigable, very rarely sick e.t.c.

As for mental, an iron will, an astounding feel for own position of body (kinesthetic sense - VERY important), focus and so on.

Generally extreme sparring does better than pumps :P

And you can't beat a gold 'ol fashioned slaughter. You'll want all of them to be hardened individuals.