Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs not learning..  (Read 795 times)

TheYakuza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs not learning..
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:24:21 pm »

I have a squad of 10 dwarfs who regularly spar and train and get lessons from their leader, but they aren't getting better in any of their skills. I gave them all axes but they are still dabbling in everything years after. How long does it take or am i doing something wrong? Thanks.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs not learning..
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:26 pm »

If their skills are very low (i.e. dabbling like you said), they'll often get skill gains faster by doing individual combat drills instead of regular training.  Just put them in a squad and set the squad to inactive.  The more motivated members will go do individual drills in the barracks when they would otherwise go on break.

Once they get up to better than novice, you can try turning them back on to training like usual.

Another thing to consider is maybe lowering the number of dwarves you require for their orders.  Do you have this set to 10/10, or some lower number? I've never tested it personally, but supposedly setting this to a lower number like 7/10 will get training sessions to start earlier since they don't have to wait forever for everyone to show up.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TheYakuza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:36:48 pm »

Thanks a ton, ill lower the amount and have them set to inactive for now.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 02:03:09 pm »

It also helps to make several smaller squads, rather than one large one.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:26:42 pm »

If you want to push it you could use a danger room:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Danger_room

Make sure you donīt send female soldiers with infants there, it will make them unhappy. Although with decent rooms and lavish meals and enough booze they recover quite fast. Young siblings seem to be a bit less forgiving, at least in my case. Well, I just killed off 5 babies... one of the moms was upset for a few months but she is fine now. The older brother is still unhappy. But thatīs life.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 05:03:53 pm »

You can also keep them on active schedule, just adjust the yearly schedule. I set my rookies to train 1 month, no orders for next two months. Repeat till they gain weapon skills, then adjust active schedule to alternate between no order, train.
 Turning off their hauling labors will cause more individual training, since there is less work to do. The demonstrations aren't that bad on train order months, they do help, but the recruits need weapon training(individual combat) early on.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:17:48 pm »

Typically the best schedule is to set a minimum of 2 dwarves training, which will increase the chances of sparring, which is the best way to increase military skills apart from dangerrooms and actual combat.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 08:21:58 am »

which will increase the chances of sparring

You reach a point where they only spar. And even before that point, as long as you have teachers this isn't even a minor problem ^-^

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 08:40:58 am »

Catch flesh balls in the caverns, order your military to attack them with blunt weapons or bad edge weapons. Problem solved.

wait actually that doesn't help defensive stats. Hey, just catch wild, prolific, not very dangerous egg-laying animals (like crundles. Crocodilians are unsuited), breed them and release your military periodically on them.

So you have an unending source of organic material and training dummies.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:46:13 am by Naryar »

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 09:23:56 am »

How do you catch and breed Krundles? I know how to catch them in cage traps and pit them. But how do you breed them?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 10:40:04 am »

How do you catch and breed Krundles? I know how to catch them in cage traps and pit them. But how do you breed them?

You don't breed them :|

Otherwise, just let them run around your fort. I don't think they'll breed, but that would be enough.