Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips on hostile climates  (Read 705 times)

Vahir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tips on hostile climates
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:01:15 pm »

I'm sick of doing the usual ordinary easy-to-colonize biomes, and I decided to try out a mountain biome. The thing is, I'm going to run into both a severe wood and water shortage. Can I get some tips on how to overcome these challenges?

Edit: Of course, any tips on any hostile biomes are welcome, I'm just curious at how to survive.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:05:20 pm by Vahir »
Quote from: Girlinhat
Yeah, used to be like you.  "Don't draft the mothers" and "Make sure that mood gets fulfilled!" and "He's tantruming, better make him happier and not order him killed" or "Leave the gate open!  The woodcutter is still running away from the ambush!" Then I started throwing children to their deaths in an ornate glass display case in the middle of the dining hall

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on hostile climates
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:49 pm »

You can ask the liaison for wood (and wooden barrels and buckets, should you need those). It's also dirt cheap. The same applies to coke, potash, lye and charcoal.
Water is a more complex issue - I suggest try and dig out the caverns, there's usually a lake down there.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:31:47 am »

With enough rock pots, you should never need water at all, until you find some anyways :P

Look for the caverns and begin a pump stack to a cistern, make the cistern large enough that you won't ever need to pump into it again.

And of course, bring around 100 wooden logs to start off.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 08:37:20 am »

I embark usually on near-woodless and waterless biomes and i bring 20-30 wood, with no axe.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 08:49:47 am »

The caverns are likely to solve both problems. Wood can also be imported in large enough amounts to run a fort, particularly since you can use rock for barrels now. Just go to magma for a metal/glass industry.
Memento Mori