Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 Questions  (Read 610 times)

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
2 Questions
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:31:48 am »

WUT THE HELL.

1. Why does everyone talk about making blocks?

the only use is in mechanics and stuff.

WUT THE HELL

2. i have a water storage bay of about 10x10 with 7/7 and its leading into a lower area of fort.

To decrease pressure i did the old:
  X  X  X  X
X  X  X  X
  X  X  X  X

But i still got all the lower fortress flooded.

WUT THE HELL

:P
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 01:38:03 am »

1. Blocks have 2 advantages over raw stones. The first, and more minor one, is value; a block's value is 5x the material it's made from's value, while a raw stone's is only 3x. The same is true of logs. The second, and more important, advantage is that blocks aren't raw materials used for anything. This may not seem important, but there are uncounted numbers of people coming to the forums and wondering, "why aren't my workshops working?!" only to find, on questioning, that they had used the stocks screen to forbid all the stones of one type and as a result forbid the shops made from the stones of that type. Making workshops out of blocks prevented this, as it was unlikely that they'd be forbidding blocks like that.

Of course, now, due to some updates, stocks-screen forbiddance doesn't forbid items built into buildings, but that's the primary reason.

2. Did you put the pressure baffles after the chute that provided the pressure, or before? They need to be put after, or else the water will just pressurize again.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:39:07 am »

block are useful.  Firstly they can be stored in bins unlike rocks, making them easier to store without having to dump them to where you want them.  They are used to build a few things like screw pumps.  Constructions made from blocks are more valuable than ones made from rocks.

Finally, blocks are useful because they are not rocks.  If you ever intend to forbid all of a type of rock, it'll also prevent workshops made of that rock from working.  It won't forbid workshops made from blocks of that rock.  THATs why blocks are useful.

and i'm pretty sure the de-pressurizing water trick still works. 

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:44:31 am »

this is the side view of what i did:

~ = water

X = rock

W = Well

~~~~XX
XXX~XX
XXX~XX
XXX~XX             this is where the dwarfs drown.
XXX~XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX W XXX
XXX~~~~DEPRESSUREIZE~~~XXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

And i still don't get what you guys are staying on blocks.

Cool they can be stored in bins, but what's wrong with just forbidding a material in the stone screen under "z"?

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 01:46:06 am by Necromunger »
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:47:27 am »

1. Things built from blocks are not only built faster, but also instead of being 'rough microline pillar' they become 'block microline pillar' (something like that)

There's also an aesthetic difference, bridges and roads built from rocks will use the double wavy sign, when their built from blocks they will have the '+' sign.

2. Did you do

Code: [Select]
XXXXX
X X X
 X X
X X X
XXXXX

or

Code: [Select]
XXXXX

X X X
 X X
X X X

XXXXX

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 01:51:05 am »

@IT 000

Number 1:

XXXXX
X X X
 X X
X X X
XXXXX

I have de pressurised water before i thought i knew what i was doing.
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 01:54:04 am »

Yeah it should have depressurized then.  :-\ Sorry, can't help you.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 02:01:48 am »

yeah it looks right.  your depressuization tunnel isn't multiple zlevels tall is it? 

Setting a stone restriction in the z commands prevents dwarves from initiating jobs using that stone.  Forbidding it in the stocks prevents them from hauling it, touching it, looking at it, engraving pictures of it...  This is sometimes useful sometimes, and when it comes up you don't want it to mess up your workshop operations.  So build workshops out of blocks and it'll never happen.  Also when you deconstruct a workshop made from a block someone will come by and store it unlike a stone which will just sit there being ugly.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 02:02:22 am »

Best point to making blocks hasn't been mentioned.

Mason training.

Then that "lucky" mason who churned out thousands of blocks, will spin out masterwork thrones, tables, cabinets, and misc. junk to shut up the nobles more effectively.