Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Terrifying Fort  (Read 741 times)

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Terrifying Fort
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:41:50 pm »

So I'm having a bit of trouble at the moment.  I'm attempting to embark on a terrifying site, which happens to rain pungent goo, that immediately and permanently bruises every bit of each of my dwarves.  I've attempted to dig underground, and move all my dwarves there immediately, but they all still succumb to this plague before even a month has passed.  (I think its mostly because every part of their body is bruised/injured when the goo hits them, including their spine/brain/lungs/etc)

I've tried 2 or 3 times now in this area, all of which had the same luck.

Is there anyway to heal my dwarves of this plague if I have them out of the rain?  Any other suggestions?

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Terrifying Fort
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:11:58 pm »

I'm doing the same thing. Except my rain causes blistering inside and out and death within about 100 steps.

Burrows are your friend, though dorfs still for some reason bug out and decide to run out of the burrow into the death rain. Immigrants are also pretty much a lost cause as far as I can tell. I've considered tunnelling to the edge of the map and making a sheltered approach to my fort, but I'm not even sure that would save them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 09:15:22 pm »

Burrows, few supplies (and therefore few reasons to stay above), and several miners.

Executer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:22:23 pm »

See, I tried that; assign all my dwarves to in inside burrow so they're never out in the rain.  The thing is they're injured immediately upon embark, and even when protected from the rain underground, they remain injured/afflicted and eventually die.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:29:50 pm »

If the rain is falling before you can even dig out 7 squares underground to cram your dwarfs into then it might not be possible without cheating. I had a similar problem with a rain that would cause everything it hit to go to sleep where it stood, with undead being unaffected. The rain always felt immediately on embark with no lag time, making it actually impossible to do anything before raven corpses would find my dorfs, or whatever corpses were present or wandered in. I don't think it is possible to do anything in this situations but die or cheat.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 09:35:22 pm »

Turn weather off, dig, turn it on.  That's probably forceful enough that a little bit of fudging would be fine.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:49:05 pm »

If you have an aquifer, get there- your dwarves should wash themselves.  I've had a fairly mild rain that just caused intense nausea and continuous vomiting, and when dwarves who were exposed washed themselves shortly after exposure they were able to avoid symptoms (furthermore, dwarves that survived initial exposure- i.e., all of them- suffered no symptoms from subsequent exposure).  That's *not* how syndromes normally work, but... worth a shot.

SirRice77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 11:02:12 pm »

You have to same problem i do, cept instead of goo i have mucus. One difference is that my pungent mucus has bruised and blistered only the outer parts of the body for my dwarfs. So they're internal organs are safe except for sometimes they leak pus everywhere, well that only happened once anyway all i've done is move everything inside and pretty much avoid going outside as much as possible. Now i just need to get past aquifiers which i've never done but they do serve as baths which is why my dwarfs seem to no longer leak pus and seem to be alright despite the bruises and blisters.
So i would say, dig in as quickly as possible, have a water source that can be used as a wash basin, and probably make a hospital as soon as you can to deal with anything that comes up at least slightly, even if you fail you can gain knowledge of freakish weather which you can post here for !!SCIENCE!!