Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf in Strange Mood Won't Go Get Materials  (Read 8643 times)

Demolira

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf in Strange Mood Won't Go Get Materials
« on: March 19, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »

I have a Jeweler camped out in a workshop, sketching pictures of rough gems, stacked cloth, shining bars of metal and skeletons.  I have rough gems, cloth, metal bars and bones available, but he won't head out to go claim the items.  There's a free path to all of them, so I'm out of ideas.  Anything I can do to make him go gets the items he wants?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf in Strange Mood Won't Go Get Materials
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

he probably wants a specific kind of one of those items that you dont happen to have.  maybe a certian kind of rough gem or a certain kind of cloth that you dont have on hand at the moment.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »

He might want rough glass instead of gems... at least, I remember people having this problem in the past. If so, he'll be looking for glass first, and will grab the other components after he finds it.

If you don't have a source of sand, I believe you're screwed. You probably won't have a chance to get any from trading (unless a merchant brings some glass without prompting) before the dwarf goes mental. Time to assign him a few guard dogs and wait for the inevitable.  :(

Dkarrde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »

There are two types of cloth that a dwarf might demand, and often there's no way to be sure without simply having both kinds on hand -- silk cloth and plant cloth.  Silk cloth comes from cave spiders (giant or regular), and plant cloth is any sort of plant (rope reed, pig tail) that produces spinnable thread.  If you only have one type of cloth, he might want the other.

Also note that a dwarf will not "skip" items in his ingredients list.  If the cloth is the second item on the list, and the metal bars are first, with the bones and rough gems third and fourth, the dwarf will go get the metal bars, see the cloth he wants is missing, and sit there without getting bones or rough gems, even if they are available.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 06:48:00 pm »

To narrow things down a bit, press 't' and take a look at the items inside the workshop; depending on what he has and hasn't gotten you may be able to figure out what he still needs.

Metal and bones are probably not a problem, so it's probably between glass vs. gems and plant vs. silk cloth.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

It's silk, I guarantee it.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Demolira

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »

The only materials in the room were some uncut gems.  Tragically, I didn't have enough time to get some plant based cloth to see if that was the issue. I had silk cloth out the wazoo.