Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sociopath fortress 101  (Read 2682 times)

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
sociopath fortress 101
« on: February 28, 2012, 04:07:53 am »

What are the most common ways to prevent your dorfs to socialize and make the slaughter of cannon fodder less likely to start tantrum spirals?

I use to make a room for everyone so when on break or idle they stay there if no meeting area exists, is it correct?

Due to the vampire thing now rooms got fortifications instead of masterwork engravings, does this allow socializing or it still requires dorfs to be in adiacent tiles?

Also i heard drafted dorfs even if the squad is set to inactive go to individual combat drill when idle, is this also true?

I wanted to use burrows to keep valuable workers away from others both for no socializing and keep them safe in case of mess, but i heard burrows are respected only for workshop/materials use and when idle dorfs just wander around? If they leave only when they need to eat/drink/sleep might work to burrow them just to their the workshop/quantum stockpile?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: sociopath fortress 101
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:06:16 am »

Also i heard drafted dorfs even if the squad is set to inactive go to individual combat drill when idle, is this also true?
Yes, but dependent on dwarf personality. Only disciplined dwarves will do it, the lazy won't.

I wanted to use burrows to keep valuable workers away from others both for no socializing and keep them safe in case of mess, but i heard burrows are respected only for workshop/materials use and when idle dorfs just wander around? If they leave only when they need to eat/drink/sleep might work to burrow them just to their the workshop/quantum stockpile?
Burrows affect job performance. Eating, sleeping and drinking are 'jobs'. As such, if you only have a burrow around their workshop and work piles, they will starve, dehydrate and fall asleep on the floor. The burrow would have to include their room and the food piles (oh and their own dining room).

If you really want to keep valueable workers safe and isolated, seal them off behind perma-locked doors and use drop chutes to transport things.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:10:56 am »

PTW.  The thread title is cool. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:12:12 am »

No! Lock them behind permalocked doors once you've finished building the fabulous dining room and quarters for them, and give them a private farmer and a private cook/brewer to live with them to make sure they can survive indefinitely. Transport objects between the sides of the door with either a hatch or airlock system, when you need to; you should only need to do that with stuff the worker needs for supplies and stuff he has finished.

The private cook/brewer and nice bedrooms, as well as nigh total isolation, will surely keep your worker and his servants emotionally stable, that is, as emotionally stable as dwarves get.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 04:28:26 pm »

Make the max dining room size designation. Your Dwarfs will quietly segregate themselves to their own corners of the large hall, and contemplate the meaning of life in an ASCII world whilst ignoring all attempts to converse.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:36:30 pm »

I've found that having multiple wells, multiple dining rooms, multiple meeting areas, multiple (small) statuary gardens etc as well as a multi-level huge sprawling fortress helps.

See the dwarves don't like crowded tables and often spread out pretty evenly though they prefer the legendary dining rooms (obviously) ... and when they throw parties they need floor space.

I give each of the starting 7 their own miniature statuary garden around a statue of one of the founders. The other dwarves go there to party (and I noticed one guy always partying at his own statue. smug bastard  :P) and I figure it's just as well making different zoos for different animals too.

drawbacks ... dwarves take their sweet time to move around; efficiency is reduced overall and vampires have no problems at all finding a lone victim.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 04:54:32 pm »

Why would you do that to your poor dwarves?  A dwarf needs a good drinking buddy!  Also, tantrums lead to, what do they call it?  !!FUN!! ?

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 05:26:24 am »

even with pesonal bedrooms to spend their spare time, everyone drafted in military and always occupied otherwise they still manage to have happy thoughts because of making new friends

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 05:41:36 am »

2x2 pasture with 4 nest boxes on a pilliar 10z levels above your most popular meeting zone, turkeys or chickens assigned to the nests cranking out eggs that you let hatch then fall to their deaths while your dwarves watch.  eventually they'll get the much sought after "doesn't care about anything anymore" from seeing all the gusome death from the rain of poultry.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 05:43:55 am »

If you truly want sociopaths, you'd want to have all your dorfs periodically exposed to death of friends, pets, etc, stuff that won't make them go insane, but will hopefully give them the "doesn't care about anything" trait.  Those that lose their minds are weak.  Only the strong survive.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 05:46:09 am »

hence the automated rain of dying baby chickens
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 05:54:19 am »

2x2 pasture with 4 nest boxes on a pilliar 10z levels above your most popular meeting zone, turkeys or chickens assigned to the nests cranking out eggs that you let hatch then fall to their deaths while your dwarves watch.  eventually they'll get the much sought after "doesn't care about anything anymore" from seeing all the gusome death from the rain of poultry.

I haven't had more than 1 nest box claimed at a time in 0.34... I bring a dozen t hens, and 6 t gobblers (I slaughter a few for initial food), and in the several years each fort has stood, usually all are unclaimed, only occasionally is 1 claimed. Was beginning to thing it was bugged.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 01:29:58 pm »

If you truly want sociopaths, you'd want to have all your dorfs periodically exposed to death of friends, pets, etc, stuff that won't make them go insane, but will hopefully give them the "doesn't care about anything" trait.  Those that lose their minds are weak.  Only the strong survive.

Not really sociopaths, just really dystopian.