Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Best programming language  (Read 2814 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best programming language
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 01:22:07 am »

Java, Python, C++, SQL. Languages that get you jobs :P (been job searching the whole week, and a little annoyed that I don't know Java or SQL).

I heard Haskell was nice too, never gave it a run.

Also, while C++ is a little annoying to make games with, it's still great with more limited machinery like mobile phones and things that directly connect with the hardware. There is no "best" language, what you want is the language most suited to what you intend to do.

I'm of the belief that if you're trying to make games or something, you might as well just pick up Game Maker and not bother with programming languages until you hit its barriers. That way, you skip the annoying low level stuff and focus on actually trying to make things. An analogy is that you're picking up the language to make ugly, pidgin conversation instead of focusing on annoying grammar rules, but later on pick up a proper language when you've grasped the grammar rules and want to move on to poetry and novel writing.

It's like learning to paint or draw, with the exception that painting and drawing is intuitive and use of a pencil is learned very early on; programming, however, is more alien.

Programming is hardly alien. It's a lot easier than most real world languages, just that a grammatical mistake is fatal. Or rather painting isn't all that intuitive. I learned to program long before I learned to draw.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 02:20:45 am »

Ruby, Javascript, and C# get you jobs too, assuming you want to do stuff on the web. :P

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 10:48:33 am »

Ruby and Python! 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 05:00:37 am »

Java, Python, C++, SQL. Languages that get you jobs :P (been job searching the whole week, and a little annoyed that I don't know Java or SQL).

SQL takes seconds to learn enough to do most jobs (although longer to understand efficiency aspects, which annoyingly change between databases), and as you know C++ just say you know Java too, picking up one after you know the other is trivial.

Personally I find myself using C++ mostly for game style development. It's quick to work with and easy to test and there isn't really any gotta issues (unlike say C). It's also very fast compare to pretty much any other language, especially dealing with mutlicore machines.

As an aside there is an experimental g++ (which is a C++ compiler) macro '_GLIBCXX_PARALLEL' which uses something akin to magic to allow your code to run on multiple threads with basically zero effort, provided you use the stl functions. (Obviously not really magic, does some analysis during compile to see if your calls are independent and does the parallelism there. Very cool sufficiently advanced technology though so may as well be magic)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 2 [3]