Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pains of World Generation  (Read 936 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pains of World Generation
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:39:52 am »

These are the pains I've encountered with world generation:

A} Don't try generating a second world without exiting the game and restarting.  The second time moves way too slow over the years as if some previous world calculations are still running.  I won't dare try to imagine generating four or five worlds without exiting the game and restarting each time.

B} There's aquifers on almost every square... I've tried adjusting drainage numbers with mixed results and lots of rejected worlds. While they're not problems for experienced players, us new players are having enough trouble just trying to create our first well.  It seems placing minimum drainage above 30 and the game has a very difficult time finding a world... adjusting the minimum and maximum settings as suggested don't seem to help.  The aquifers are so common I'm certain these continents are all merely floating islands for these worlds.

C} The "Find Desired Locations" is not very accurate. I could ask for multiple shallow and deep metals with flux yet the locations highlighted will sometimes be missing one or two of the three requested features.  Choosing mutiple metals will sometimes result in only a single metal as well.  I even move my local location within the highlighted square yet no match. 

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
Re: Pains of World Generation
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:44:34 am »

Have you tried the mesh sizes? Use a small brush size and weigh the high-and-low fifth more heavily than the middle range. Disable required counts. You'll probably see more variability and juxtaposed high-low contrasts.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:01:34 am »

The search feature looks at all the biomes in an area. Press F1, F2, F3, F4... to look through all the biomes.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

acehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:36:43 pm »

A} I've never encountered this, interesting.

B} If you really want no aquifers, mod them out. This is very easy to do with the Lazy Newb Pack. Once you get the hang of the game, add them back in.

C} The finder is actually very accurate(in my experience). In the viewer you may see no flux even when there really is, because apparently marble doesn't show up as flux, even though it is. Basically, if finder says it has flux, it has flux. lol

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:37:26 pm »

B. Just do yourself a favor and remove Aquifers. Unless your looking for a challenge (and if you are, you can just re-add them) they do nothing other then limit your embarking area.

How to remove, as per the wiki:

Text editor (All operating systems)

Find the files in Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects (new world) or Dwarf Fortress/data/save/regionNN/raw/objects (already saved world).

Open the three files with a text editor (e.g. Notepad). (inorganic_stone_layer.txt, inorganic_stone_mineral.txt, and inorganic_stone_soil.txt)

Use Edit->Replace, and replace [AQUIFER] with (AQUIFER). (Use 'Replace All').

To restore the tags later, do the same in reverse. (Replacing (AQUIFER) with [AQUIFER]).

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 03:31:12 pm »

Aquifers are needed by world-gen civilizations now. They need them for well water... although honestly most of the time they could just keep drilling and still hit caves with water pretty soon.

Really, aquifers need to be rethought- currently, they insta-flood an area. They really should produce 1/7 of water maybe once a  month or something. Then you could dig around and pave the walls piecemeal, maybe even have mines that aren't quite finished and get ignored for a while, and end up flooded... then you have to build a pump system to dry it out.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:33:15 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.